McClatchy DC Logo

Edwards booster admits making payments to woman | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Edwards booster admits making payments to woman

Ames Alexander - Charlotte Observer

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 09, 2008 08:26 AM

One of John Edwards' largest fundraisers says he made payments to Rielle Hunter, the women with whom Edwards acknowledged he had an affair, but maintains that the former presidential candidate wasn't aware of his involvement.

Fred Baron, a prominent Texas trial lawyer who served as finance chairman of Edwards' two presidential campaigns, told The Dallas Morning News he paid money to Hunter to move from North Carolina to another location.

He told the Dallas newspaper that Hunter and Andrew Young, a former campaign aide who has claimed paternity of Hunter's child, were being followed by tabloid reporters who believed Edwards had fathered her child.

The National Enquirer this month reported that a wealthy supporter of Edwards' was funneling at least $15,000 a month to Hunter, the woman with whom the former presidential candidate now acknowledges he was having an affair.

SIGN UP

Baron issued a statement Friday saying he "decided independently to help two friends and former colleagues rebuild their lives."

"I found that the situation was so destructive to the lives of these two friends that I decided to personally offer help," he wrote in a statement he sent to the Raleigh News & Observer. "John Edwards was not aware that assistance was provided to anyone involved in this matter."

It is believed that Hunter and Young previously lived in separate homes in Chapel Hill before moving to Santa Barbara, Calif.

Baron has not returned repeated calls this week.

Baron, who built a fortune working with a Dallas law firm that specialized in representing victims of asbestos, pesticides and other harmful chemicals, raised millions to fuel Edwards' campaigns.

Edwards denied Friday that he was involved with any hush-money payments.

"I also have not been engaged in any activity of any description that requested, agreed to or supported payments of any kind to the woman or to the apparent father of the baby," he wrote in a statement issued Friday evening.

During the 2008 presidential campaign, Edwards frequently flew in Baron's plane.

The Edwards campaign made 86 payments totaling about $628,000 to Baron during the first nine months of 2007, according to a Boston Globe analysis of campaign finance reports.

Baron, 61, a past president of the Association of Trial Lawyers, has been one of the nation's top Democratic fundraisers, and one of the largest political contributors in Texas.

Baron's charitable foundation gave $330,000 to various Texas organizations for food and shelter earlier this year.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Edwards apologizes for affair, but denies fathering child

August 09, 2008 09:25 AM

politics-government

Who's the woman at the center of the Edwards scandal?

August 09, 2008 08:35 AM

politics-government

Will public buy a contrite Edwards?

August 09, 2008 08:19 AM

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story