McClatchy DC Logo

European leaders lobbied Bush on tanker contract | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

European leaders lobbied Bush on tanker contract

Les Blumenthal - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 16, 2008 07:41 PM

WASHINGTON — The leaders of France, Germany and Britain personally lobbied President Bush over a controversial $35 billion contract for U.S. Air Force aerial refueling tankers that was originally awarded to a team that included a European aerospace firm but is now being re-competed.

The White House confirmed Wednesday that British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, French President Nicolas Sarkozy and German Chancellor Angela Merkel had all raised the tanker issue with Bush.

But White House spokesman Gordon Johndroe said Bush made clear to all three that the decision was up to the Pentagon.

"All three leaders at various times raised the issue," Johndroe said. "The president told all three the same thing, he has nothing to do with the contracting process and the White House has nothing to do with the contracting process."

SIGN UP

Johndroe said he wasn't sure at what meetings the issue was raised, but most recently Brown, Sarkozy and Merkel talked with Bush at the G-8 meetings last week in Japan. Those meetings came less than a month after congressional auditors found significant errors in the original tanker bidding and urged the Pentagon to reopen the competition.

The Air Force in February had awarded the contract to start replacing its 600 or so Eisenhower-era tankers to a team composed of Northrop Grumman and the European Aeronautic Defense and Space Co. rather than Boeing.

EADS is the parent company of Airbus, which has been locked in a fierce rivalry with Boeing for dominance in the commercial airplane market. EADS has long-sought to crack the U.S. defense market with a major contract.

The Northrop-EADS tanker would use an Airbus A330, which is assembled in Toulouse, France, using French, German, British and Spanish parts. Northrop-EADS has announced plans to eventually assemble the tanker at a new facility in Mobile, Ala.

European newspapers have reported for months that Brown, Sarkozy and Merkel have lobbied Bush, writing letters and raising the issue in direct talks. Initially the leaders lobbied for the contract and more recently, according to the latest reports, they have expressed concern that the Pentagon decision to reopen the tanker competition could jeopardize Airbus jobs in Europe.

"He will support the Airbus bid in anyway he can," an unidentified spokesman for Brown told The Times of London last week, adding that 11,000 jobs were at stake in Britain, where the wings for the A330 are built.

According to a report in the International Herald Tribune, Tom Enders, a top EADS executive, accompanied Merkel to one meeting with Bush at the White House.

Johndroe said he wasn't sure if the tanker contract came up during the Group of Eight summit in Japan earlier this month and believed it was more likely raised in meetings late last year and early this year.

"Given their home countries, they obviously talked about Airbus," Johndroe said.

Neither Bush nor any White House aides discussed the contract with Air Force or Pentagon officials, including the secretary of defense or the secretary of the Air Force, Johndroe said.

"Not at all," he said. "This has been purely a Defense Department issue. That is the case with contracts across the board."

Even so, Boeing supporters on Capitol Hill were critical of foreign leaders lobbying the president and suspicious about what role the White House may have played in initially awarding the contract to Northrop-EADS.

"The European Union has made no secret it wants to be the dominant player in aerospace," said Rep. Norm Dicks, D-Wash. "There is no question they have been lobbying the White House hard on tankers."

"This is astonishing," said Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash. "We are building tankers to meet the needs of the U.S. military. Now all of a sudden we are supposed to listen to the French, Germans and British about their needs. We should not be influenced by jobs in Germany or elsewhere."

Dicks said he had no evidence the White House or anyone else had sought to influence the award of the tanker contract to Northrop-EADS or that the president had extracted any promises from the Europeans to support U.S. foreign policy in exchange for Northrop-EADS winning the contract.

"It is interesting that these people have great access and they are important allies," Dicks said. "It makes you wonder. It's one of the few explanations that make any sense."

Outside analysts dismissed the possibility the Europeans had offered any "quid pro quo" in exchange for the tanker contract.

"I would be surprised if Bush extracted anything," said Sally McNamara, a senior policy analyst in European affairs at the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank in Washington.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national-security

Pentagon reopens contentious bidding for new aerial tanker

July 09, 2008 06:38 PM

national-security

Air Force to reopen $35 billion tanker contract

July 09, 2008 12:23 PM

politics-government

Boeing victory: GAO calls for new bids for Air Force tanker

June 18, 2008 01:39 PM

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story