McClatchy DC Logo

Obama, McCain shift debate to more troops — for Afghanistan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Obama, McCain shift debate to more troops — for Afghanistan

Warren P. Strobel - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 15, 2008 06:27 PM

WASHINGTON — With the war in Afghanistan worsening by almost every measure, the often-overlooked conflict jumped to the center of the U.S. presidential campaign Tuesday as John McCain and Barack Obama both promised to send more U.S. troops.

They continued to differ sharply on Iraq.

In a Washington speech intended to burnish his credentials as a potential commander in chief, Democratic contender Obama repeated his pledge to remove U.S. combat troops from Iraq within 16 months after taking office. He pledged to send at least two more combat brigades to Afghanistan to quell the growing Taliban insurgency.

The Iraq war "distracts us from every threat that we face and so many opportunities we could seize," said Obama, who's preparing his first trip overseas. "As president, I will make the fight against al Qaida and the Taliban the top priority that it should be. This is a war that we have to win."

SIGN UP

McCain, at a town hall meeting in Albuquerque, N.M., parried Obama and implicitly distanced himself from President Bush's handling of Afghanistan.

"The status quo is not acceptable. Security in Afghanistan has deteriorated, and our enemies are on the offensive," the Republican candidate said.

But McCain said Bush's buildup of troops in Iraq last year — which Obama opposed — was the right strategy, and should be replicated in Afghanistan. He pledged three more combat brigades of about 3,500 troops each, and proposed doubling the size of the Afghan army.

The sudden shift of emphasis to Afghanistan underscored that as security improves in Iraq, the next president's major challenge may lie in the revived Islamist revolt in Afghanistan and Pakistan's tribal areas next door.

Violence is up sharply across much of Afghanistan, threatening the fragile, Western-backed government of President Hamid Karzai, and U.S. military officials say that al Qaida and its allies have been able to re-establish a sanctuary across the border in Pakistan.

On Sunday, Taliban fighters attacked and nearly overran an outpost in Nuristan province manned by U.S. and Afghan soldiers, killing nine Americans, one of the war's highest death tolls in a single incident.

NightWatch, a respected report compiled by former defense intelligence official John McCreary, said in a dispatch Monday that violence in Afghanistan set a new high in June. Attacks in a sampling of Afghan districts were up 50 percent over May, which had set the previous high.

"The fighting set new records for intensity, scope and frequency of attacks," the report said. "In several attacks (Taliban fighters) stood and fought NATO forces in conventional firefights until air power arrived. The last time they did that was in 2001."

The report noted "a measurable increase" in foreign fighters coming from Pakistan. "Uninhibited access to Pakistan as a safe haven and base area will have a transforming effect on the insurgency and makes it impossible to contain the escalation," it said. "Parts of Pakistan must be considered at war with NATO in Afghanistan."

Top U.S. commanders have said that three combat brigades, or roughly 10,000 troops, are needed on top of the some 49,000 U.S. and allied troops who are there now.

Marvin Weinbaum, a former State Department intelligence analyst specializing in South Asia, said it was "almost a given" that the next president would have to shift more resources to Afghanistan.

"A new president is going to have to . . . reassess the whole situation there: How are we going about this?" said Weinbaum, who's now a scholar at the Middle East Institute.

In a sense, Obama, McCain and Bush all are open to criticism for their actions or positions on Iraq or Afghanistan.

Even Bush on Tuesday acknowledged setbacks in Afghanistan, where he began his "war on terrorism" nearly seven years ago.

Politically, the improvements in Iraq have forced Obama to defend his opposition to the troop increase there and his long-standing call for a prompt U.S. withdrawal. But the revived Afghanistan crisis could help illustrate his contention that Bush — along with McCain — has ignored the real peril to U.S. interests by focusing on Iraq.

McCain, saying he knows "how to win wars," proposed a broad strategy for Afghanistan that includes the troop increases, more nonmilitary aid for the country and a White House "czar" who'd focus on Afghanistan.

His aides attempted to belittle Obama's position on Afghanistan, arguing that he's never held a hearing on the issue as a Senate Foreign Relations subcommittee chairman and never traveled there. Obama is expected to visit Afghanistan later this month.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

DeMint wants to hold Afghanistan hearings with Obama

July 15, 2008 06:20 PM

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story