McClatchy DC Logo

Presidential candidates collect millions, but don't say from whom | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Presidential candidates collect millions, but don't say from whom

Greg Gordon - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 16, 2008 06:28 PM

WASHINGTON — Barack Obama's and Hillary Clinton's presidential campaigns have failed to update their Web-posted lists of top fundraisers since January, although the two Democrats have received at least $180 million in donations in the first three months of this year.

Last year, both campaigns voluntarily began disclosing the names of their "bundlers," supporters who collect campaign checks surpassing such thresholds as $50,000 or $100,000.

But despite the aggressive fundraising during this peak primary season, no new names have been added.

Spokesmen for both the Obama and Clinton campaigns said they have a policy of identifying bundlers on a quarterly basis and that the next updates will be issued shortly after each campaign files its March fundraising report, due to the Federal Election Commission by Sunday.

SIGN UP

Larry Sabato, a University of Virginia political science professor who tracks campaign fundraising, said he thinks the two camps have delayed releasing more names to avoid adverse publicity at a crucial point in the race. Both campaigns, but especially Clinton's, have been hit with news reports critical of some of the major fundraisers who've been identified.

``If the information were innocuous, they would have released it,'' said Sabato, who said he suspects that ``there are conflicts of interest involved.''

``Many of these fundraisers want things from the candidates if they're elected president,'' he said. ``That's why they spend all this time and effort.''

Release of the lists on Sunday or Monday would allow little time for scrutiny of bundlers' backgrounds before Tuesday's key Pennsylvania primary.

Clinton has raised the bulk of the $168 million she's disclosed to date from large donors. She's disclosed $48 million since January.

(The Associated Press reported Wednesday that the Clinton campaign collected $20 million more in March.)

To date, her campaign has listed 311 ``Hillraisers'' who each raised at least $100,000, although it's difficult to locate the list on the Clinton for President Web site without the campaign's help.

Clinton already has had to contend with embarrassing publicity about two of her top fundraisers, both of whom were facing criminal charges.

Chinese bundler Norman Hsu was collecting funds for Clinton while he was a fugitive on federal charges that he bilked investors of $20 million and strong-armed them into making campaign donations. The Clinton campaign announced last September that it was returning $850,000 that Hsu raised.

On April 4, McClatchy reported that Texas oilman Kase Lawal, who hosted a fundraiser at his home last August that raised more than $100,000 for Clinton, was charged in his native Nigeria with illegally pumping and selling10 million barrels of oil. The Clinton campaign has yet to say whether it will return any of those donations.

Obama's campaign, which touts its transparency, has posted the names of 359 top fundraisers, grouped by those who raised more than $50,000, $100,000 to $200,000 and more than $200,000. Its list of large fundraisers is posted at the end of a section of the Web site that asks and answers 123 questions about the campaign.

Obama campaign spokesman Ben LaBolt stressed that 91 percent of Obama's money has come from Internet donations of less than $200. So far this year, Obama has reported collecting $91 million. LaBolt said he raised $40 million more in March.

The New York Times reported in early February about the roles of Obama fundraisers Frank Clark and John Rogers, two top officials of Xelon Corp., Illinois' largest electric utility and nuclear power plant operator. In 2006, after the company resisted the senator's push for legislation to require nuclear power plants to disclose even the smallest radioactive leak promptly, Obama weakened his bill, which later died, the paper said.

Obama's campaign credits Clark and Rogers with each raising more than $200,000.

Presumptive Republican nominee John McCain, who raised $64.6 million through February, also has yet to list any of his fundraisers. McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said Wednesday that the campaign has begun to recruit volunteers to solicit large donations. Disclosures will follow, he said.

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story