McClatchy DC Logo

Bush administration takes credit for Iraqi offensive in Basra | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Bush administration takes credit for Iraqi offensive in Basra

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 26, 2008 07:03 PM

WASHINGTON — The White House and Pentagon claimed partial credit for the Iraqi government's new military offensive in Baghdad and the port city of Basra, calling it a "byproduct of the success" of the U.S. troop surge that showed that Iraqi forces are capable of assaulting Shiite extremists.

Stephen Hadley, President Bush's national security adviser, called the Iraqi-led operation in Basra "an indication of the increased maturation of this (central) government," and he praised Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki for taking charge of the operation.

"What he (Maliki) has really done is take that matter into his hands," Hadley said.

The Pentagon said that Iraqi security forces are now capable of confronting their fundamental problems.

SIGN UP

"They are a sovereign government. This is a decision they made, and they feel capable of fulfilling," said Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell. "So we are supportive of them taking greater accountability for their own security."

Although U.S. officials portrayed the offensive as an Iraqi initiative, the U.S. military was providing air cover for the Iraqi operations in Basra and Baghdad and ground troops in Baghdad. U.S. officers appear to have been closely involved in the planning.

The Bush administration has pushed the Iraqi government to take advantage of the U.S. troop surge in Baghdad and Anbar province, which led to drops in violence there.

There was no sign from the ground, however, that the new offensive, which involves 15,000 Iraqi troops and police units, was succeeding.

It also remains to be seen whether rebel Shiite cleric Muqtada al Sadr will maintain the cease-fire that he announced last August and renewed in February. Following the Iraqi government offensive, Sadr has authorized his Mahdi Army militia fighters to attack U.S. and Iraqi troops in self-defense.

The cease-fire was one reason behind the drop in violence that followed the surge of more U.S. troops to Iraq.

A senior U.S. military official in Baghdad told McClatchy that coalition forces didn't attempt to dissuade Maliki when he first proposed an operation against armed militias in Basra. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter, said it was encouraging that Maliki, a Shiite, was willing to move against other Shiite groups. But there's concern among U.S. military leaders that the fighting in Basra could erupt into a nationwide inter-Shiite conflict.

Morrell said that there are no signs that the security gains from the surge are in jeopardy so far. The rise in violence wasn't surprising, he added, because like their Sunni counterparts, Shiite extremist groups initially would react violently to any operation.

"It's a natural reaction to being cornered," Morrell said.

Bush met with the Joint Chiefs of Staff on Wednesday to discuss U.S. plans in Iraq after five combat brigades leave this summer. Gen. David Petraeus, the top military commander in Iraq, is expected to testify before Congress on April 8-9.

Officials have said that after the five brigades leave, military leaders will assess the situation before the U.S. considers any further withdrawals. Once the surge forces leave, roughly 140,000 troops will remain in Iraq.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Iraqi forces battle Mahdi militia in southern Iraq, Baghdad

March 25, 2008 01:25 PM

world

Is 'success' of U.S. surge in Iraq about to unravel?

March 24, 2008 08:19 PM

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story