McClatchy DC Logo

Amid division, Fla. Dems to decide today on re-vote plan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Amid division, Fla. Dems to decide today on re-vote plan

Lesley Clark - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 17, 2008 07:35 AM

WASHINGTON — As the Florida Democratic Party gets ready to decide Monday whether to pull the plug on a long-shot bid to re-stage the state's presidential primary by mail, it faces a larger question: Is there a Plan B?

Democrats say there are a few options — and none that the state party controls — to give the state's voters a voice in picking the Democratic presidential nominee. Most of those have as many political flaws as the technical hurdles involved in mailing ballots to the state's 4.1 million Democrats.

Democrats are hoping for a negotiated settlement between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. But with both candidates casting for every delegate, neither is likely to accept a compromise that would give a rival an edge.

Florida Sen. Bill Nelson, a Clinton ally who backs voting by mail but acknowledges its lack of popularity, has floated a second compromise: Strip Florida of half its delegates and assign the remaining ones to the two candidates based on the Jan. 29 presidential primary, which favored Clinton. A spokesman for Nelson said the idea has morphed into giving each of Florida's delegates a half vote.

SIGN UP

But over the weekend Clinton's campaign tossed cold water on the proposal, which would cut her delegate haul in half.

''The 2.5 million people [in Michigan and Florida] who voted deserve to be counted,'' Clinton said Saturday, signaling her support for a re-do in Michigan, which like Florida violated national party rules by holding an early primary. ``If it were my preference, we'd count their votes, but if not, then they should have the opportunity to have a full-fledged primary waged for them and revote.''

Clinton spokesman Phil Singer has told reporters that the campaign believes in the ''bedrock principle'' of one person, one vote.

''There's a solemn obligation on all the people involved in this process . . . to ensure that the votes that have been cast are counted and the people who participated are allowed to have their voices heard,'' Singer said.

The state party last week issued a call for a party-financed vote-by-mail do-over, but it failed to gain much traction. State party Chairwoman Karen Thurman is likely to jettison the proposal on Monday, leaving state Democrats casting for alternatives even as Michigan appears to be moving ahead with plans for a June 3 traditional-style primary.

Florida, though, has already ruled out a statewide, go-to-the-polls revote as too costly.

As Clinton's camp calls for counting the January results, Obama's campaign has rejected them, arguing that the contests in Florida and Michigan were invalid because both candidates had agreed not to campaign in the two renegade states. Obama's name wasn't even on the Michigan ballot.

''The rules are the rules. Michigan and Florida both knew they wouldn't be seated if they moved their primaries up,'' former New Jersey Sen. Bill Bradley, an Obama supporter, said Sunday on Meet the Press.

''If we want to make sure that Michigan and Florida are seated,'' he added, ''make it a 50/50 division'' of delegates.

Several members of Congress have suggested other formulas, using the results of the January primary to apportion delegates.

Allan Katz, an Obama supporter and Tallahassee attorney, said there could be support for ''some iteration of a 50-50 split'' in which Clinton could end up with an edge of superdelegates.

''The two campaigns have to figure out what they can live with,'' Katz said.

Several of Clinton's top donors in Florida are using their purse strings to pressure Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean to mediate the dispute. Several have threatened to withhold contributions to the DNC unless it agrees to acknowledge the results of the Jan. 29 primary or schedule new elections.

'I told [Dean] `If my vote doesn't count and my state doesn't count, then my money's not going to count,' '' Clinton donor Ira Leesfield said Sunday, referring to a recent conversation he had with the DNC chairman. ``We've told him he's got to grab the bull by the horns and either have a revote or recognize the election.''

Dean, though, has repeatedly ruled out recognizing the January results, saying he doesn't want to change the rules in the middle of the campaign.

The state party could also choose to make its case to the DNC's credentials committee, which will meet before the August nominating convention.

Dean last week seemed to caution against waiting until the summer, noting in televised interviews that the candidate ``who has the most delegates will have an edge in the credentials committee. And whether they seat them or not is their business.''

Other options: Democratic National Committee member Jon Ausman has filed a separate appeal to the DNC's rules and bylaws committee, saying the DNC doesn't have the authority to bar the state's superdelegates and asking the committee to ease its punishment by restoring at least half of the state's delegates.

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story