McClatchy DC Logo

Fla. Dems settle on new plan for vote-by-mail primary | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Fla. Dems settle on new plan for vote-by-mail primary

Lesley Clark - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 11, 2008 06:02 PM

WASHINGTON — Facing tight deadlines for a do-over election, Florida Democrats are rushing to deliver to the national party as soon as Thursday a plan to vote again in the presidential primary — this time, by mail.

If approved, ballots could start going out to voters in April.

Though the election-by-mail plan has its detractors, state Democrats say they're under a time crunch to complete voting by June 10 — the Democratic National Committee's deadline for allocating delegates. Submitting the plan now will start a 30-day public-comment clock that would end in time for ballots to be sent out mid April.

"We basically run out of time beyond Thursday,'' said state Sen. Steve Geller, a Hallandale Beach Democrat and the state Senate minority leader, who was meeting with party officials and attorneys Tuesday to hammer out details.

SIGN UP

Under the emerging plan, estimated to cost as much as $10 million, the state's four million registered Democrats would be mailed self-addressed, stamped ballots that would be tabulated by an independent party, such as an accounting firm or a company that runs corporate shareholder voting.

Ballots would be due back in Tallahassee on a specific day in late May or early June, and regional sites would likely be employed for last-minute voters, party officials said.

The state party would pick up the cost for the unprecedented contest, and a number of national Democratic strategists have said they're ready to begin raising millions for the do-over.

Geller cautioned that technical, bureaucratic and political hurdles still loom. Among them: the design of the ballot and how to ensure secrecy.

The plan would also still need to be vetted by the state party's executive committee and pass muster with the presidential campaigns of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

Democrats hope the plan would comply with DNC rules and result in the restoration of Florida's votes in the presidential nominating contest. Last summer, the national party stripped Florida and Michigan of their delegates to the national convention because the states broke party rules by holding their primaries earlier than DNC rules allowed.

Representatives from the Clinton and Obama campaigns have expressed reluctance about the prospects for such a do-over.

A spokesman for U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, who began calling for a re-vote last week, said he was to talk to critics Tuesday to convince them to get on board.

"He's telling them, 'We need to get a plan submitted to the national party and we need to do so immediately,' '' Nelson spokesman Dan McLaughlin said. "There will be 30 days in which everybody will have an opportunity to be heard. There might be criticisims, but let's let them be heard during the 30 days.''

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Do Obama's 'red-state' wins matter for November?

March 12, 2008 10:00 AM

politics-government

Clinton's foreign experience is more limited than she says

March 11, 2008 06:48 PM

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story