McClatchy DC Logo

Fuel tank was shattered by missile, officials believe | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Fuel tank was shattered by missile, officials believe

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 21, 2008 12:15 AM

WASHINGTON _ The U.S. military has a “high degree of confidence” that a missile fired at a crippled spy satellite struck the satellite's fuel tank that was carrying 1,000 pounds of toxic hydrazine rocket fuel, Pentagon officials said Thursday.

A video released by the military shows a fireball and vapor cloud erupt as the missile strikes the satellite. The military believes the vapor cloud is eveidence that the missile destroyed the tank, releasing the hydrazine, an ammonia-like chemical that can be harmful if inhaled or swallowed. U.S. officials ordered the missile strike on the satellite out of concern the tank would survive re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere and land in a populated area.

“We are not proceeding as if we are going to take another shot,” said Marine Gen. James Cartwright, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

It will still be several days before the military can confirm it struck the tank, Cartwright said, as it studies data and several videos _ including one on the missile.

SIGN UP

Debris has already begun falling over both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, but nothing has reached the Earth’s surface, the military said. The remaining debris will re-enter the atmosphere in the next 40 days.

So far, the military has not seen any debris larger than a football, Cartwright said.

Shortly after the military announced late last night that it had struck the satellite, China said it was on alert for falling debris and demanded details from the U.S. about its mission.

China’s concerns were as much about politics as safety. Last year, U.S. officials expressed concern about falling debris after China shot down one of its own satellites.

Wednesday’s strike was the first time the United States had attempted to strike a satellite with a missile.

In a statement, the military said that at 10:26 p.m. Eastern time, the USS Lake Erie, an Aegis class missile cruiser, which was 600 miles west of Hawaii launched an SM-3 tactical missile toward the satellite. The missile struck the satellite at 153 nautical miles above the Earth's surface.

Cartwright said the military confirmed it hit the tank at 10:50 p.m.

The mission was considered a major, if unplanned, test of America 's anti-ballistic missile program.

U.S. officials announced last week that the Navy would try to down the satellite out of concern that the hydrazine would fall over a populated area. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued an alert about the substance and the Federal Emergency Management Agency provided local officials with guidelines for dealing with debris from the satellite.

The decision to shoot down the satellite was controversial. Some experts have suggested that the attempt is really an effort to expand the capabilities of the anti-ballistic missile system to include satellites and to counter China 's destruction of an aged weather satellite last year.

Others interpreted the mission as the military’s effort to find new uses for its controversial missile defense plan.

But Cartwright insisted the mission was only “to preserve life,” adding that there is little the military can learn from Wednesday’s launch that could apply to missile defense.

“We had to modify [the missile] away from missile defense,” Cartwright said. “It doesn’t cross over.”

Still, military personnel were clearly overjoyed that the mission had succeeded, noting that a miss would have raised new questions about the missile defense program.

“There were a few cheers” on the ship, Cartwright said.

The missile and the roughly 5,000-pound satellite, which failed shortly after it was launched in December 2006, closed in on each other at roughly 22,000 mph, officials said.

The shoot-down was not a sure thing. The missiles had to be reprogrammed to strike a satellite. Planners also had to wait until the satellite had been warmed by the sun so that the missile's heat seeking sensor would have an easier time finding it.

The two other missiles that were designed to shoot down the satellite had Wednesday launch failed, will now be re-configured back for their original purpose _ missile defense.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

FEMA - First Responder Guide For Space Object Re-Entry

February 20, 2008 12:17 PM

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story