McClatchy DC Logo

Former immigration officials rap $5 million Moussaoui reward | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Former immigration officials rap $5 million Moussaoui reward

Greg Gordon - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 29, 2008 06:00 AM

WASHINGTON — Two retired U.S. immigration officials who helped supervise the investigation of Zacarias Moussaoui have sharply criticized the government's $5 million reward to a flight instructor who shared what he knew about the al Qaida operative, with one calling it "obscene."

State Department and Justice Department officials who made the award last week are under fire for electing not to compensate two program managers at the Pan Am International Flight Academy. Both risked their jobs to tip the FBI to Moussaoui's suspicious behavior.

The former immigration officials said they wonder whether the reward to flight instructor Clarence Prevost was an attempt to deflect attention from the FBI's bungling of an investigation that might have foiled the Sept. 11 terror attacks. The government alleged that Moussaoui was in flight training to become a suicide hijacker.

"It's just so obscene, beyond comprehension," said Charles Midby, who supervised two Minnesota immigration agents involved in Moussaoui's arrest on Aug. 16, 2001. "I can understand why the Muslims view us as such a rotten and decadent society when we feel we have to give something like that to an American do his basic responsibility."

SIGN UP

Mark Cangemi, who retired in 2006 as a special agent in charge of the U.S. Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement for Minnesota and four other states, said he was told that even the FBI and ICE agents who supported an award for Prevost were taken aback by the amount.

"I'm very concerned that whoever made the decision that this award should be $5 million has now made it into a lottery," Cangemi said. Instead of sending the message that citizens have a duty to assist law enforcement, he said, "Now it's, 'If I give something and it turns into something, I get my $5 million.' I think this whole thing has been mishandled. ... I think it sets a very poor precedent."

A State Department spokesman declined to comment on the matter Monday.

Cangemi, an immigration agent for 33 years, said it's not unusual for informants who risk their safety to receive $10,000. He said that perhaps Prevost and tipsters Tim Nelson and Hugh Sims each should have gotten "a plaque, a trip to the White House and a check for $50,000."

Unlike Nelson and Sims, Prevost didn't tip off the FBI, but he spent considerable time with the government as it built a criminal case against Moussaoui.

Prevost, who testified at Moussaoui's 2006 death-penalty trial, was given the $5 million under the State Department's Rewards for Justice program, which offers up to $25 million for information that thwarts international acts of terrorism or leads to the arrests or convictions of terrorists.

Among more than 50 past honorees paid more than $77 million was an unidentified informant in East Asia credited with saving hundreds of lives by alerting authorities to plans for a series of terrorist attacks during the Persian Gulf War.

FBI and immigration agents arrested Moussaoui nearly a month before the Sept. 11 attacks. But he refused to cooperate with investigators, and FBI headquarters blocked Minneapolis agents from obtaining a warrant to search his possessions, which contained clues that could have led investigators to several of the hijackers.

Cangemi said he wondered whether the award was "an attempt to mask the failures of what happened pre-9-11."

Midby, who retired in 2002 after 23 years with the Immigration and Naturalization Service, said that with the award, the bureau seems to be "putting some makeup on to cover up their embarrassment."

Moussaoui pleaded guilty in 2005 to capital conspiracy charges. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Senators question why terror tipsters were skunked

January 25, 2008 03:51 PM

latest-news

Moussaoui tipsters overlooked for $5 million reward

January 24, 2008 08:33 PM

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story