McClatchy DC Logo

Exxon seeks reduced damages in Alaska oil spill | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Exxon seeks reduced damages in Alaska oil spill

Erika Bolstad - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 19, 2007 03:40 PM

WASHINGTON — Exxon Mobil will argue before the Supreme Court that the $2.5 billion it was ordered to pay in punitive damages in the Exxon Valdez case — one of the largest awards ever against an American corporation — was in conflict with more than 200 years of maritime law.

Exxon filed a brief in the case Monday, arguing mostly that trial and appellate courts erred in blaming the company for the actions of its ship captain when the tanker Exxon Valdez hit a reef in Prince William Sound in 1989 and spilled nearly 11 million gallons of crude oil.

The company also will argue that it has been punished enough and that the $2.5 billion is an excessive addition to the money the company has already paid, said Exxon spokesman Tony Cudmore.

"We don't believe the punitive damages are warranted in this case," he said. " The company has spent over $3.5 billion on compensation, cleanup payments, settlements and fines. It's a case about whether further punishment is warranted, and we do not believe that punitive damages are warranted in this case."

SIGN UP

The Supreme Court announced in October that it will examine the fundamental legal issues in the case, which dates to the early 1990s. Exxon has been appealing since 1994, when an Anchorage jury returned a $5 billion punitive damages award against the company. Last year, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco cut the award to $2.5 billion; Exxon appealed that decision to the Supreme Court.

The company has long argued that it invested significant amounts of time, money and effort to address what happened to the environment, wildlife and Alaska residents after the oil spill.

The oil giant has had more than a dozen business groups and shipping associations file friend-of-the-court briefs objecting to the size of the verdict and how maritime law was applied in the case.

Now, the state of Alaska is expected to step in. Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has asked the attorney general to file a friend-of-the-court brief on behalf of the fishermen and residents who first brought the suit.

The state will probably have the backing of the Alaska congressional delegation.

"It is in Alaska's interest to see justice concluded for the 33,000 Alaskan commercial fishermen, cannery workers, landowners and natives impacted by this horrendous spill," said Meredith Kenny, a spokeswoman for Rep. Don Young. "Representative Young has always been predisposed to signing on to the brief, and looks forward to reviewing a final copy of it to accomplish that action."

Sen. Ted Stevens is waiting to see the brief and won't commit to signing it until he has read it, said spokesman Aaron Saunders.

"He's obviously pleased that the attorney general is taking an interest, and is looking forward to reviewing the draft," Saunders said. "He's long supported ensuring that the victims of this bill get fairly compensated and are treated fairly in the process."

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story