McClatchy DC Logo

CIA destroyed videotapes of interrogations of al Qaida captives | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

CIA destroyed videotapes of interrogations of al Qaida captives

Greg Gordon - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 06, 2007 08:52 PM

Editors note: An earlier version of this story contained inaccurate information. This is a corrected story.

WASHINGTON — The CIA in 2005 destroyed videotapes of interrogations of senior al Qaida captives in the early days of the war on terror, saying they were disposed of because they were a serious security risk, its director disclosed Thursday.

In a letter to agency employees, CIA Director Michael Hayden said that the decision to destroy the tapes was made ``after it was determined they were no longer of intelligence value and not relevant to any internal, legislative or judicial inquiries.''

The tapes that were destroyed were taken during interrogation of two al-Qaida captives, a U.S. intelligence source said.

SIGN UP

The existence of videotapes of some interrogations was first disclosed by McClatchy last month.

The destruction of the tapes, thought to have shown the aggressive interrogation of al Qaida leader Abu Zubaydah after his capture in Pakistan in 2002, could reignite a controversy over the agency's conduct and questioning methods.

The CIA informed congressional intelligence committee about the tapes, but failed to turn them over to the Sept. 11 commission or in response to a Freedom of Information Act suit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union.

Federal prosecutors disclosed in October that the CIA had twice misled the judge and defense lawyers in the prosecution of al-Qaida operative Zacharias Moussaoui case when it denied that it had videotapes of captives sought by the defense. They informed U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema of Alexandria, Va., and a federal appeals court that the agency had two videotapes and one audiotape that came into the agency’s possession under ``unique circumstances.’’ Those tapes have been turned over to the Justice Department, and federal prosecutors advised Brinkema and a federal appeals court in October that they had ``no bearing’’ on the Moussaoui case.

``The CIA did not say to the court in its original filing that it had no terrorist tapes at all,’’ agency spokesman George Little said Friday, noting that it replied only to the request for tapes of specific captives.

In his letter to employees, Hayden said that the videotapes were made as ``an internal check'' and ``a backstop to guarantee that other methods of documenting the interrogations — and the crucial information they produced — were accurate and complete.''

Hayden defended the use of severe interrogation tactics, which he said have ``helped disrupt terrorist operations and save lives.'' He said that the CIA designed ``specific, appropriate interrogation procedures'' after Zubaydah's capture in March 2002.

Zubaydah had been seriously wounded in a firefight before his capture and survived only because the CIA, which held senior al Qaida captives in secret overseas prisons, arranged medical treatment, he said.

Hayden noted that President Bush said publicly in September 2006 that ``Zubaydah had more information that could save innocent lives, but he stopped talking.''

The tactics were adopted, he said, ``on a solid foundation of legal review.''

That foundation, crafted by lawyers from the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel, provoked controversy and would be voided if the pending federal legislation is enacted.

After the agency determined that ``its documentary reporting was full and exacting,'' Hayden said, it halted the videotaping in 2002. Another senior al Qaida figure, suspected Sept. 11 coordinator Ramzi Binalshibh, was captured in the fall of 2002, but it couldn't be learned whether he was videotaped during questioning.

Hayden said the CIA's inspector general examined the tapes in 2003. The tapes had no intelligence value, Hayden said, and given ``the absence of any legal or internal reason to keep them,'' they were destroyed because they ``posed a serious security risk.''

``Were they ever to leak, they would permit identification of your CIA colleagues who had served in the program, exposing them and their families to retaliation from al-Qaeda and its sympathizers,'' Hayden wrote.

ON THE WEB

Read Gordon's earlier story about the existence of the CIA tapes.

  Comments  

Videos

Trump says he could use executive power on border wall

A historic day for women as 116th Congress is sworn in

View More Video

Trending Stories

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

January 03, 2019 05:21 PM

Read Next

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

By Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham is used to be in the middle of the action on major legislative debates, but he’s largely on the sidelines as he tries to broker a compromise to end the government shutdown.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

Congress

Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

January 04, 2019 04:12 PM
Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

Immigration

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM
HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM
Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM
Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story