McClatchy DC Logo

Pentagon says it’s selected first 400 Syrians to be trained to fight Islamic State | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Pentagon says it’s selected first 400 Syrians to be trained to fight Islamic State

By James Rosen - McClatchy Washington Bureau

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 27, 2015 08:00 PM

U.S. military and intelligence agencies are doing background checks on the first 400 Syrians to be trained to combat Islamic State forces in their country, with a target date set as early as September for them to join the war, the Pentagon said Friday.

About 1,800 other Syrians have been identified as candidates for the program, with background probes slated to start soon.

It was the first official word that the U.S.-led effort to equip and train thousands of Syrians to fight the Islamic State has begun, four months after Congress approved spending $500 million on the program. More than 350 U.S. troops have arrived in Turkey and other nearby countries in preparation for the training, the Pentagon said.

“If all goes well, we expect they’ll be finished with training in late summer or early fall,” Army Col. Steve Warren, a Pentagon spokesman, said of the first group.

SIGN UP

The United States expects 3,000 Syrians to have completed training by the end of the year and 5,000 to be finished by next April, Warren said.

The training program has been fraught with delays as the Pentagon has struggled to determine how to identify fighters qualified for training. Officials often spoke of employing “moderate Syrian rebels” to battle the Islamic State, but many of the groups fighting the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad were considered too close to al Qaida’s Syrian affiliate, the Nusra Front, to qualify.

In Istanbul, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Friday there had been “a minor delay” in the training plans but did not elaborate beyond saying it was “because of (U.S.) distance,” Reuters reported.

The U.S. and Turkey have been at loggerheads over the program, with Turkey insisting the fighters be allowed to target the Assad government while the U.S. said the training was intended only to fight the Islamic State.

It was not clear Friday whether Turkey had signed off on the first 400 Syrians chosen to start the training program. Both countries must approve the participants in the program.

Under a joint agreement signed in February, Jordan, Qatar and Saudi Arabia have also agreed to host training sites.

Warren said that 2,200 Syrians have been “identified by name” for the training mission and that the United States is “compiling big data” on 400 of them. The background checks are expected to include fingerprints, retina scans and other biometric measurements to learn whether any of the candidates are on terror watch lists.

Asked how the 2,200 Syrians were selected, Warren said they were recommended mainly by “tribal leaders and Free Syrian Army leaders we have been dealing with for some time.”

Warren said a pre-screening process lasting one week will be followed by deeper background checks over six weeks. With those stages extending to mid-May, it was not clear why training won’t begin until September.

“We’re figuring out who these guys are,” Warren told McClatchy. “We want to get people who we trust – from this town, from that family, his wife got killed by ISIS. We rely on trusted agents, especially members of the Free Syrian Army.”

Membership or fighting experience in the Nusra Front “would be a disqualifier” for the training program, Warren said. Fighting with a rebel unit that had allied itself with Nusra also “would potentially be a disqualifier,” he said.

Other red flags Warren cited included gaps in someone’s past and discrepancies between what he said about his background and what U.S. security personnel discover.

“If we can’t account for what he did between 2010 and 2011, that would be a problem,” Warren said.

The training will be “scalable and adjustable,” and could range from several weeks to several months, depending on the planned eventual mission of the fighter being trained, Warren said.

“It would range from individual training in how to use a gun to collective training in how a squad moves through a building,” he said.

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story