The mayor of Venezuela’s’ capital — and one of the highest-profile opposition figures in the country — was hauled out of his office Thursday on conspiracy allegations, ratcheting up the pressure on the embattled opponents of President Nicolás Maduro.
In a lengthy speech to supporters, Maduro accused Antonio Ledezma, the mayor of the Caracas Metropolitan District, of being entangled in an alleged coup plot that the government says it dismantled last week.
“He must respond for the crimes committed against peace in the country, security and the constitution,” Maduro said. “I ask for the country’s support to consolidate peace through justice — enough of conspirators.”
Ledezma’s detention came Thursday afternoon shortly after he wrote on Twitter that his office had been surrounded. Security footage on NTN24 television showed heavily armed and camouflaged guards hustling him out of his office. Eyewitnesses told local media that the officers fired into the air to disperse the crowds.
Although it’s unclear what charges Ledezma might face, Maduro reiterated claims that the United States and opposition leaders had been plotting with rogue military officers to topple him. The shadowy plan involved commandeering a fighter plane to assassinate Maduro and then bomb the presidential palace, the ministry of defense and other key offices.
“The United States is not promoting unrest in Venezuela nor are we attempting to undermine Venezuela’s economy or its government,” the State Department said in a news release. “We remain Venezuela’s largest trading partner. Venezuela’s economic and political problems are the result of the policies of the Venezuelan government.”
Comments