McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. arms crate bound for Kobani defenders may have fallen into Islamic State hands | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

U.S. arms crate bound for Kobani defenders may have fallen into Islamic State hands

By Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Washington Bureau

    ORDER REPRINT →

October 21, 2014 06:53 PM

At least one of the pallets of weapons the United States dropped Sunday to defenders of the Kurdish town of Kobani may have fallen into the hands of Islamic State forces, Defense Department officials conceded Tuesday.

If confirmed, the incident would be an embarrassing episode in the United States’ campaign against the Islamic State, whose onslaught across Iraq and Syria since June 10 has been aided by millions of dollars in U.S. weapons that the Islamist group captured as Iraqi soldiers fled before them.

U.S. officials on Monday acknowledged that U.S. aircraft had returned to Kobani to target a pallet of weapons and ammunition that had fallen into an area controlled by the Islamic State. In a statement, Central Command said the strike on what it called a “stray resupply bundle” had “prevented these supplies from falling into enemy hands.”

But a video posted Tuesday on the Internet claimed to show Islamic State fighters pulling hand grenades, rocket-propelled grenades and other arms from a crate, suggesting that either the second bombing mission had failed or that a second weapons crate had missed its intended target and had fallen into Islamic State hands.

SIGN UP

Pentagon officials said Tuesday that they were investigating what had taken place. “They certainly are the kinds of munitions dropped,” Pentagon spokesman Rear Adm. John Kirby said of the weapons pictured in the video.

Three U.S. C-130 aircraft on Sunday delivered 28 pallets of weapons and medical equipment to Kobani in an effort to resupply fighters from the Kurdish militia group known as the YPG, whose initials stand for People’s Protection Units. The fighters have been locked in combat with the Islamic State for weeks and had managed to push the Islamists back, with help from heavy U.S. bombing. But the YPG was also running out of ammunition, putting the gains in jeopardy. The U.S. made the airdrops after Turkey had refused to allow the YPG forces to be resupplied by land.

The two-minute video posted on YouTube shows the pallet with the parachute still attached. The video then cuts to images of several crates from within the pallet lined up along a fence. A man opens one crate filled with grenades, another with rocket-propelled grenades.

“These are the bombs that the American forces dropped for the Kurdish parties,” the fighter said as he surveyed the equipment. “They are spoils of war for the mujahedeen.”

Pentagon officials said they were trying to determine if the video had been staged. They said, however, that they did not know how much time had elapsed between the initial airdrop and the subsequent bombing run to destroy the errant pallet. They also said they could not say whether the pallet might have been looted before the U.S. aircraft returned or if a second pallet of supplies might have gone astray.

Kirby reminded reporters that the “vast majority” of weapons, which had been provided by Kurdish officials in Iraq, had reached the Kobani defenders.

The Obama administration has made Kobani the nexus of its fight against the Islamic State, saying a surge of Islamic State fighters to the city makes it a strategic target for U.S. airstrikes. U.S. planes struck four Islamic State targets at Kobani on Tuesday, Central Command said, bringing to at least 145 the number of attacks on the city, including the one to destroy the pallet. That’s far more attacks than on any other single area in Iraq or Syria since the U.S. bombing campaign began Aug. 8.

The confusion over the pallet came as the Pentagon also could not offer any clarity on what kind of metrics Americans were using to measure whether the U.S. campaign to eliminate the Islamic State threat is succeeding.

“In a struggle like this, I don’t know that you can expect a tipping point,” Kirby said.

Since Aug. 8, the United States has spent $424 million combating the Islamic State, Kirby said.

He said that despite gains by the town’s defenders, the situation remains “tenuous.”

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story