McClatchy DC Logo

After U.S. airdrop, Turkey agrees to let Iraqi Kurds cross to fight at Kobani | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

After U.S. airdrop, Turkey agrees to let Iraqi Kurds cross to fight at Kobani

By Roy Gutman - McClatchy Foreign Staff

    ORDER REPRINT →

October 21, 2014 08:41 AM

In a dramatic policy shift, Turkey agreed Monday to allow fighters from Iraq’s Kurdish autonomous region to cross its territory to help save the Syrian Kurdish enclave of Kobani from Islamist radicals, the Turkish foreign minister said.

“We are helping peshmerga forces to cross into Kobani,” Mevlut Cavusoglu told reporters in Ankara.

He spoke just hours after the United States, over the express objections of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, started dropping arms, ammunition and medical supplies to the Kurdish militia defending the town.

It wasn’t clear from Cavusoglu‘s statement when the movement of forces would take place. A Turkish foreign ministry spokesman said he had no “operational details” of when Iraqi Kurdish forces would cross Turkish territory to reach Kobani.

SIGN UP

A spokesman for Kobani’s administration said he had received no official notification that reinforcements would be arriving from Iraq.

“We have no information about the peshmerga beside the announcement of the Turkish government,” Idriss Nassan told McClatchy.

Cavusoglu said Turkey is working “in complete cooperation” with the U.S.-led international coalition to fight Islamic State extremists -- an assertion that seemed hardly to have been true only hours earlier.

The decision was a breakthrough for the United States in its dealing with Erdogan as it works to assemble a coalition to combat the Islamic State. Only Sunday, Erdogan had said Turkey could never agree to arms shipments to the Kobani defenders, who Turkey believes are linked to insurgents who’ve waged a 30-year war for Kurdish rights inside Turkey.

The decision to allowed militia from Iraq’s Kurdistan Regional Government to come to Kobani’s aid, however, was a compromise that the Turks could agree to. The KRG’s president, Massoud Barzani, has a close relationship with Edogan.

Cavusoglu combined his disclosure with harsh criticism of the political party to which the Kobani defenders belong, the Democratic Union Party, or PYD by its Kurdish initials, and said that Turkey will provide it no direct assistance until it changes its goals.

The PYD is the Syrian affiliate of the Kurdistan Workers Party, known as the PKK, the group that has battled Turkey for three decades.

Cavusoglu, as Erdogan had earlier in the month, equated the PYD with the Islamic State, which also is known as ISIS or ISIL.

“The PYD’s only aim is to control a certain part of Syria, just like ISIS,” he said. “Therefore we believe it is a threat to Syria’s future, to Syria’s territorial integrity and its democratic structuring.”

U.S. officials, briefing reporters late Sunday night about the airdrops, had said additional drops were possible and it was unknown if Turkey would allow the peshmerga to bring weapons and supplies to the PYD forces.

The Obama administration has made Kobani the major battle of its anti-Islamic State campaign, targeting Islamic State positions there with more than 135 airstrikes in the past few weeks. But the airdrops of weapons, ammunition and supplies were the first of their kind since President Barack Obama declared the anti-Islamic State campaign in early August.

U.S. officials warned that Kobani might still fall.

“The president was determined to take this action now,” said a senior administration official with knowledge of the operation who briefed reporters late Sunday night under the condition of anonymity. “Kobani is important because ISIL has made it one of its main focal points. . . . This was the quickest way to get the job done.”

The official said that the administration had been pressing Turkey to allow weapons to reach the Kurdish forces by land through Turkey, but had moved without Turkey’s agreement because the fighters were running low on supplies.

Obama told Erdogan of the U.S. resupply plans in a phone call that the White House said had been placed to discuss the situation in Kobani, officials said.

Anita Kumar contributed to this story from Washington.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

This is not what Vladimir Putin wanted for Christmas

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story