McClatchy DC Logo

Israel, Hamas extend cease-fire five days, allowing more time for talks | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Israel, Hamas extend cease-fire five days, allowing more time for talks

By Joel Greenberg - McClatchy Foreign Staff

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 13, 2014 07:52 PM

Israel and Hamas agreed late Wednesday to a five-day extension of a cease-fire to allow further talks on a longer lasting truce in Gaza, but renewed rocket fire triggered fresh Israeli airstrikes, threatening the lull.

The agreement, reached under heavy pressure from Egyptian mediators, was announced in Cairo minutes before the expiration of a 72-hour cease-fire at midnight.

“In the last minutes, agreement was reached to extend the cease-fire for another five days, beginning at midnight tonight and ending on Monday,” said Azzam al-Ahmad, the head of a delegation of Palestinian factions negotiating indirectly with an Israeli team.

The Israeli military said that six rockets were fired at Israel from Gaza before midnight, and that in response it had carried out airstrikes “targeting terror sites across the Gaza Strip.”

SIGN UP

Militants in Gaza fired back, and two more rockets landed in southern Israel, the army said. No casualties were reported.

In the hours before the agreement to extend the cease-fire, President Barack Obama spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as part of efforts to prod both sides toward an accord.

“The president reaffirmed the United States’ support for Egypt’s mediation efforts and underscored the importance of achieving a sustainable outcome that ensures Israel’s security and addresses Gaza’s humanitarian crisis,” the White House said in a statement.

Al-Ahmad, a representative of the mainstream Fatah faction, said that progress had been made in negotiations on Hamas’ main demand: lifting a blockade imposed on the Gaza Strip by Israel and Egypt.

However Izzat al-Risheq, a Hamas negotiator, told the Arabic satellite channel Al Jazeera that significant gaps remained, and that delegates from the group would travel to Qatar for consultations with the political leader of Hamas, Khaled Mashal.

Hamas wants the removal of border closures that have crippled the economy of the Gaza Strip, including opening the Rafah border crossing with Egypt to movement of people and goods, construction of a seaport, and allowing Palestinians to travel between Gaza and the West Bank.

Israel and Egypt imposed a blockade on Gaza when Hamas seized control of the territory in 2007 after a brief civil war with the mainstream Fatah faction. Since then, travel out of the Gaza Strip through crossings to Egypt and Israel has been severely restricted. In recent months, Egypt shut smuggling tunnels under its border with Gaza that had served as a supply line for vital goods and a major source of tax revenue for Hamas, which controls the coastal enclave.

Hamas also seeks the release of former prisoners rearrested by Israel in a crackdown on the Islamist group in the West Bank in June after the kidnapping and slaying of three Israeli teenagers in the territory. Hamas did not claim responsibility for the abduction.

It was unclear to what extent Israel and Egypt had agreed to any of those demands, and how much progress had been made toward an accord on a durable truce. But the agreement to extend the temporary cease-fire suggested that leaders on both sides were under public pressure to maintain calm.

An Israeli offensive against Hamas, launched on July 8, has killed more than 1,900 Palestinians, most of them civilians, according to the United Nations. The Israeli army lost 64 soldiers, and three civilians were killed in Israel by rocket strikes.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story