McClatchy DC Logo

Palestinian negotiating team quits, but it may not mean end of talks | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Palestinian negotiating team quits, but it may not mean end of talks

By Mel Frykberg - McClatchy Foreign Staff

    ORDER REPRINT →

November 13, 2013 09:10 PM

The Palestinian Authority’s peace negotiations team announced its resignation on Wednesday after holding a tense emergency meeting in Ramallah that went on for hours. The meeting was called following a lack of progress in the peace talks with Israel and an announcement by the Israeli government on Tuesday that it was going ahead with plans to build approximately 24,000 new settlement homes in East Jerusalem and the West Bank.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas had threatened on Tuesday night to call off the talks and demanded Israel retract its home-building plans, something Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu did on Wednesday, after the U.S. objected and said it was "deeply concerned" by the plans.

"We were surprised by it and we are seeking explanation from the Israeli government," said State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki. "It was not discussed in advance. We don’t recognize the legitimacy of settlements."

Netanyahu's quick halt to the plans, however, is unlikely to assuade Palestinian anger, which has been building for month. During the current round of negotiations, which began in July, the Palestinians have threatened on a number of occasions to resign if the Israelis went ahead with settlement construction in East Jerusalem and the West Bank.

SIGN UP

Those threats were never carried out, even after the Israelis announced other new settlement plans. Some analysts have suggested that Israel’s recent release of a second batch of Palestinian prisoners several weeks ago was meant to persuade the Palestinian negotiating team to coinue attending the talks. The Palestinian Authority denied the speculation, however.

The scale of the Tuesday's announced settlement plans forced the negotiating team to take action, however. Whether it will make a difference in the talks was unclear.

A Palestinian official who asked to remain anonymous as he was not an official spokesman noted that the Palestinians have pulled out of peace talks before. “We stopped negotiations in 2006 for this reason too," he said.

Another high-ranking Palestinian official told the Israeli daily Haaretz that Abbas wouldn’t take any strong action without coordinating with the Americans first. Abbas added that he was trying to persuade the negotiating team to return and if they refused that a new negotiating team would be appointed. In any case, talks wouldn’t resume for about a week.

Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat, who didn’t go into detail on the reasons behind his resignation, said that no talks had taken place in the last week as well due to concerns about a lack of progress.

Abbas has said he is committed to the full nine months of negotiations as laid out by the Americans. Furthermore, the PA doesn’t want to be blamed for the negotiations collapsing.

And Netanyahu's fast backtracking on the settlement announcement shows more flexibility than many give him credit for. In any case, Israel officially wants the talks to continue.

“We are at the table and we assume the Palestinians will be at the table too,” Israel Foreign Ministry Deputy Spokesman Paul Hirschson told McClatchy. “We take the negotiations very seriously. There is a deal to be done and we are waiting for the Palestinians so we can implement that deal.”

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story