McClatchy DC Logo

Lebanon charges 5 Syrians in spread of war across border | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Lebanon charges 5 Syrians in spread of war across border

By Mitch Prothero - McClatchy Foreign Staff

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 18, 2013 04:35 PM

Lebanese prosecutors charged five Syrians this week in attacks earlier this year on targets related to the Shiite Muslim militant group Hezbollah. Although the two cases – a bombing and a rocket attack – remain legally unconnected, they suggest that Lebanese authorities are reaching conclusions about who’s responsible for violence in the country related to the civil war in Syria.

On Tuesday, authorities charged two men with planning and executing the roadside bombing of a Hezbollah convoy June 23 that killed at least one member of the group on the main highway linking Syria and Lebanon. That was followed Wednesday with Military Examining Magistrate Fadi Sawan issuing arrest warrants for three men in connection with a rocket attack May 26 on southern Beirut neighborhoods, near Hezbollah’s headquarters, that wounded four.

The aggressive action from Lebanon’s military tribunal system, which tends to handle political cases and terrorism, comes as this tiny country wedged uncomfortably between Israel and Syria struggles to maintain order while much of its population takes increasingly bitter sides in the 30-month Syrian war.

Lebanese news organizations reported that a man who was killed by an explosion Monday was an active-duty Syrian army officer who was visiting his brother in Lebanon.

SIGN UP

Syrian groups have been linked to – or widely accused of – four car bombings: two that targeted neighborhoods in Beirut known for their staunch support of Hezbollah and the Syrian regime, and two that struck mosques in the northern city of Tripoli that were known for vocal support of the rebels.

Western and Lebanese officials have said they think that a specific group of Syrian rebels has been tasked by its leaders with punishing Hezbollah’s communities and backers for the group’s military support for the embattled regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad. The officials spoke only on the condition of anonymity because they were discussing intelligence information. They also declined to identify the group they were referring to.

The men charged in the June 23 attack were identified as Amer and Moutasem Hamdan, who appear to be related, though there were conflicting accounts of their relationship. The two reportedly are from the suburbs of Damascus, Syria’s capital, and a Lebanese judicial official, who cannot be named under Lebanese law, said Amer Hamdan had confessed under interrogation to being a member of “a Syrian terrorist organization.” Moutasem Hamdan remains at large and is thought to be still in Lebanon.

Two of the three men ordered arrested Wednesday also appear to be related. They were indentified as Mohammed and Ghayyath Qarhathan. The third man was identified as Omar al Dirani.

Western and Lebanese intelligence officials have said previously that they think that at least some rocket attacks and the first car bombing in southern Beirut were conducted by a cell of the Syrian rebel organization Liwa 313, which military analysts have described as a special operations group under the command of the U.S.-backed Syrian Military Council. But some Lebanese authorities and Hezbollah members tend to refer to any attack on Shiites in Lebanon as being directed by the Nusra Front, an anti-Assad al Qaida affiliate.

Nusra and another al Qaida affiliate, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, both Sunni Muslim groups, have employed violent sectarian imagery directed at Hezbollah in videos posted on the Internet. The Syrian Military Council, also overwhelmingly Sunni, is seen as less sectarian but equally interested in punishing Hezbollah for involving itself in Syria, particularly for the group’s role in the capture from rebels of Qusayr, a city near the Lebanese border.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story