McClatchy DC Logo

Lebanon probing link between bomb factory where 2 died and Syrian war | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Lebanon probing link between bomb factory where 2 died and Syrian war

By Mitchell Prothero - McClatchy Foreign Staff

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 05, 2013 06:08 PM

Lebanese military intelligence is investigating what link an explosion that took the lives of two Egyptian brothers Sunday might have to the civil war in neighboring Syria, according to security officials and the country’s official National News Agency.

Authorities said the two brothers – Abdul Latif and Mohammed Dakhakhini – were killed and a Syrian man identified as Mohammed Hasan Masoud was wounded when a bomb they were building exploded in the village of Daraya in northern Lebanon.

The war in Syria has deeply divided this politically fractured country next door. Lebanon’s most powerful political and military institution, the Shiite Muslim militant group Hezbollah, has infuriated much of the country’s Sunni Muslim population with its open military and political support for the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad. At the same time, much of the country has become a haven for anti-Assad rebels.

The CIA warned Lebanese security officials last month that al Qaida-linked rebel factions were planning attacks in Lebanon on Hezbollah, and Syrian rebel groups have threatened to retaliate against Hezbollah for fighting on Assad’s behalf.

SIGN UP

Security officials said they’d found additional bombs and a map of potential targets in the home where Sunday’s explosion occurred, which was owned by the dead men’s father, Sheikh Ahmad Dakhakhini. The father, who’s married to a Lebanese woman and has lived in Lebanon for years, is described as a conservative prayer leader at a local mosque, but the village released a statement denying rumors that his dead son Abdul Latif had had a religious role in the town.

“They were building bombs,” said a security official, who spoke only on the condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to release the details of the investigation. “We found explosives, maps of targets, as well as flags for al Qaida and Nusra,” a reference to the Nusra Front, an anti-Assad, al Qaida-linked rebel group that U.S. officials have designated a terrorist organization.

The official said investigators also had found recordings and pictures of a radical Sunni cleric, Ahmad al Assir, whose mosque complex in Sidon was raided in June by the Lebanese army and units from Hezbollah. Assir has been a fierce critic of Hezbollah for its role in Syria, and the fighting at his mosque ended with dozens of deaths and Assir as a fugitive. Hezbollah fighters said some of the men they’d killed in the assault on Assir’s mosque had been carrying Syrian identification cards.

A series of murky security incidents has left Lebanon’s intelligence services deeply concerned about the role of al Qaida in the country as they attempt to unravel what appear to be tiny networks of angry Sunnis with nebulous links to larger foreign groups. The incidents include a series of rocket attacks that targeted Shiite villages along the border with Syria and in one case a Shiite neighborhood in Beirut, a car bomb that targeted a Shiite neighborhood in June and a rocket attack last week that appeared to target either the presidential palace or the Ministry of Defense, which are next to each other.

“We are still putting together this puzzle,” the security official said.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story