McClatchy DC Logo

NATO vows better cleanup of unexploded munitions as it closes Afghan bases | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

NATO vows better cleanup of unexploded munitions as it closes Afghan bases

By Jay Price - McClatchy Foreign Staff

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 31, 2013 06:23 PM

The U.S.-led military coalition in Afghanistan has agreed to do a better job of cleaning up deadly unexploded munitions from its bases and firing ranges as it closes them down after the U.N. accused the coalition of leaving dangerous explosives behind, a coalition spokesman wrote Wednesday in an emailed statement.

The International Security Assistance Force also will re-examine bases that already have been demolished to make certain unexploded ordnance hasn’t been left behind, the spokesman said.

So-called “explosive remnants of war” have emerged in the past few months as an increasing danger to civilians, in particular children. In the first half of the year, nearly 150 people were killed or injured when such munitions detonated, according to a report issued Wednesday by the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan, or UNAMA. That’s a jump of 53 percent from the same period in 2012. Nearly 80 percent of the victims were children.

United Nations demining officials told McClatchy in July that they believed the increase was mainly related to the closing of the hundreds of small ISAF bases as the coalition prepares to end its combat mission by the end of next year.

SIGN UP

Locals flock to such bases after they’re demolished, looking for anything they can use or sell.

In the report, the U.N. mission makes several recommendations for ISAF, including that it conduct a comprehensive review of every base and firing range closed or handed over to Afghan security forces, including informal ranges.

Lt. Col. William Griffin, an ISAF spokesman, wrote in an emailed statement that ISAF was taking the issue seriously and had the same goals regarding the protection of civilians as the U.N. mission.

“We acknowledge the recommendations that UNAMA makes and will work to incorporate those recommendations into our plans and procedures,” Griffin wrote. “Both UNAMA and ISAF are mandated by the U.N. Security Council and maintain the same goal: to mitigate and end civilian casualties as thoroughly as possible.”

U.N. officials said last month that ISAF commanders had been evasive about how well the bases and ranges had been cleared of dangerous material, and that they believed little had been done.

In two cases this year that were so dire that U.N. officials treated them as emergencies, the mission funded cleanup operations on firing ranges at closed bases, including one where an accident hurt eight civilians. The emergency cleanups turned up hundreds of pieces of ordnance including grenades and mortar shells.

Griffin wrote that ISAF would thoroughly review its cleanup efforts at firing ranges.

“We have identified potential gaps in procedures, reporting and tracking of firing ranges on current or former ISAF bases and leaders have been directed to increase their oversight in regard to this matter,” he wrote.

ISAF also was taking steps to work with the U.N. mission and other agencies to develop a coordinated and consolidated system for tracking firing ranges, he wrote.

That’s not as simple as it might sound. In late 2011 there were about 800 coalition facilities across Afghanistan, according to ISAF figures.

More than 600 of them, mostly small bases used by a few dozen troops or less, already had been shut down or handed over to the Afghan government by the beginning of 2013, when the focus began shifting to closure of larger bases.

Some of those that were shut down had well-defined formal firing ranges with built-up berms; others had informal areas used for practice and sighting in weapons that might be hard to pinpoint now.

Troops on bases, large and small, use firing ranges to brush up their skills and test weapons.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Wounded Afghan civilians tell how it happened

July 31, 2013 05:50 PM

world

Kabul hospital is sad symbol of Afghanistan’s rising civilian toll

July 31, 2013 05:38 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story