McClatchy DC Logo

Taliban attack CIA compound in latest Afghanistan violence | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Taliban attack CIA compound in latest Afghanistan violence

By Rezwan Natiq and Jay Price - McClatchy Foreign Staff

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 25, 2013 03:23 PM

Insurgents armed with rocket-propelled grenades opened fire on the Kabul offices of the CIA early Tuesday in a coordinated attack in one of the capital’s most heavily fortified neighborhoods, which is also home to Afghanistan’s presidential place and the main headquarters for the U.S.-led international military coalition.

There was no word on damages to the CIA offices or casualties to its guard force, and it was uncertain whether the CIA had been the main target of the attack. The Taliban, claiming responsibility for the attack, said in a statement that the CIA building had been one of its primary objectives, but the presidential palace is also nearby. Three presidential guards died in the attack.

Reporters who were waiting to enter the presidential palace when the attack took place at 6:30 a.m. said the attackers fired at the CIA offices, and smoke could be seen rising from the building, a former hotel, from miles away.

Statements issued by Afghan ministries said no civilians were killed. In addition to the three palace guards who died, several were slightly wounded. Police said there were four or five attackers and that all were killed.

SIGN UP

A spokesman for Hamid Karzai said the Afghan president was never in serious danger and was unhurt.

It was the latest in a string of high-profile attacks in the city over the last few weeks, including one on the military side of the international airport and another just outside the country’s Supreme Court building. It came as U.S. diplomats and Afghan leaders tried to figure out how get the stalled negotiations with the Taliban over peace talks in Doha, Qatar, back on track.

Ambassador James Dobbins, the U.S. special envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan, had arrived in Kabul from Doha to meet with Karzai.

Mohammad Ismail Qasimyar, a spokesman for the Afghan High Peace Council, which likely would represent Afghanistan in any peace talks, said that such acts could undermine the chances of talks.

The U.S. ambassador in Afghanistan, James Cunningham, issued a statement condemning the attack and praising the rapid reaction of the Afghan security forces in ending it. But he also included an overture to the Taliban.

“All of the attackers were killed, without success in achieving their goals,” he wrote. “This again demonstrates the futility of the Taliban’s efforts to use violence and terror to achieve their aims. We again call on the Taliban to come to the table to talk to the Afghanistan government about peace and reconciliation.”

The attack lasted for more than an hour.

Witness Mohammad Hafiz, whose house is near the presidential palace compound, said that two heavy explosions shook the area, and after that he heard heavy gunfire and more than eight other blasts.

An Afghan solider who was in a guard tower just outside the presidential palace compound when the attack started said that Afghan National Directorate of Security officers in the Pul-e-Mahmmod Khan neighborhood, about a kilometer away from the presidential palace, tried to stop the attackers’ trucks as they approached the area, but they barely slowed and kept moving toward the palace compound.

Several of the journalists said one truck stopped in the middle of road that goes to the palace and the CIA headquarters. Several men emerged and start shooting wildly. Guards shouted at the journalists to take cover as the insurgents fired RPGs at various targets, including the CIA compound.

Kabul Police Chief Mohammad Ayoub Salangi said the insurgents’ trucks were armored and that they had tried to get their vehicles through security by displaying fake ID cards from the NATO-led coalition and fake vehicle passes for their trucks. But guards recognized the IDs as phony and tried to stop the trucks, which prompted the insurgents to start shooting.

After the attackers were killed, Afghan security officers immediately cordoned off the area. Even police officials and Rangin Spanta, head of the country’s security council, were prevented from entering.

Rafi Ferdous, a spokesman for the Afghan Council of Ministers, said that the attack was planned and carried out by an insurgent group that’s allied with the Taliban.

“Our information shows today’s attack near to the presidential palace and CIA compound was planned by Haqqani terrorist network,” Ferdous tweeted hours after the incident.

Video: Taliban Takes Responsibility for Kabul Attack

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story