McClatchy DC Logo

Prosecutor: Court ruling cuts vision for Guantánamo war crimes trials | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Prosecutor: Court ruling cuts vision for Guantánamo war crimes trials

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 17, 2013 01:14 PM

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba -- Expect only seven more captives to be charged at the war court, the chief Pentagon prosecutor said Sunday, offering a much reduced vision of the scope of the special court after a federal court setback.

Six prisoners await death-penalty trials — Khalid Sheik Mohammed, 48, and four other alleged plotters accused of killing 2,976 people in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks plus a Saudi man accused of engineering al-Qaida’s USS Cole bombing that killed 17 U.S. sailors. Seven others have already been convicted of al-Qaida foot-soldier crimes.

But, recently, a federal court overturned the 2008 conviction of Osama bin Laden’s driver, concluding that providing material support for terror was not a viable war crime for many held captive at Guantánamo.

Based on that decision, the total number of prisoners “who can be realistically prosecuted” number around 20, chief prosecutor Army Brig. Gen. Mark Martins told reporters on the eve of resumption of pre-trial hearings in the Sept. 11 case.

SIGN UP

Now, with 166 men left here, that means about 150 will never be charged with a crime.

The number reflects a much smaller use of the military commissions authorized by George W. Bush in November 2001. Of the 779 captives the United States held prisoner at Guantánamo since January 2002, only three were convicted in the Bush years.

In 2010, President Barack Obama’s Guantánamo Review Task Force had recommended that 36 detainees be prosecuted by military tribunal and that the five alleged Sept. 11 conspirators face civilian trial in New York City. But Congress thwarted the plan.

Two of the future prosecutions have already been disclosed, both non-capital, leaving just five more captive prosecutions to identify.

One is Ahmad al Darbi, 48, a Saudi man accused of a 2002 terror attack on a French oil tanker in the Gulf of Aden, and other al-Qaida-connected crimes. Martins swore charges in August but he has yet to be brought to court.

Another is Abd al-Hadi al-Iraqi, 52, an Iraqi captive who got to Guantánamo in April 2007 from a secret CIA site.

Martins released his charge sheet just last week. It alleges that Hadi, 48, ran al-Qaida’s army in Afghanistan and Pakistan from 2002-2004, with troops waging an insurgent war on invading U.S. and allied troops in a take-no-prisoner doctrine that did not distinguish between civilians, medical workers and foreign troops.

“He’s always maintained his innocence and continues to maintain his innocence,” said Hadi’s Pentagon-appointed defense lawyer Army Lt. Col. Chris Callen.

Guantánamo’s tribunal is a hybrid of traditional federal and military courts, and is still a work in progress. This week’s hearings for the men accused of plotting the 9/11 attacks is still in the pretrial phase, with defense lawyers arguing whether the case was properly prepared for prosecution here rather than in New York City as Attorney General Eric Holder had planned.

Six victims of the 9/11 attacks are here to watch this week’s proceedings and, typical of those chosen by lottery to visit Guantánamo, they disagreed on where the trial should be held. They include two firefighters who were injured that day, a son, a sister and a widow of three men killed in New York’s World Trade Center.

“It was a war crime,” said Linda Gay, 54, of Tewksbury, Mass., whose Raytheon executive husband Peter was killed aboard Flight 11. “I do not want them in New York” where they could get a “worldwide” audience through speechmaking at their trial. She advocated a Guantánamo trial. “Do the right thing and get it done.”

New Yorker Rita Lasar, 81, disagreed. Her brother Abraham Zelmanowitz was killed “in a heinous crime,” the collapse of the North Tower because he refused to leave behind a disabled office mate. Of the alleged plotters, she said: “These five men in spite of who they are deserve the fairest, most transparent and honest trial” on U.S. soil.

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Liberals push for a Green New Deal as the way forward on climate change

January 07, 2019 08:23 AM

New USS Cole case judge quitting military to join immigration court

January 07, 2019 12:20 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story