McClatchy DC Logo

‘Vive La France:’ Quick Islamist retreat raises questions about Mali’s army | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

‘Vive La France:’ Quick Islamist retreat raises questions about Mali’s army

By Alan Boswell - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 19, 2013 05:28 PM

On Saturday morning, a Malian commander painfully tried to explain why none of his troops had moved north despite a rebel retreat 24 hours earlier in a train of vehicles that had headed northeast to the desert.

"There is no enemy in Diabaly, but they may have scattered in the bush," Col. Keba Sangare said. "We are prepared, but we are waiting for orders."

On the road just a few yards away, a bus rolled past, so overflowing that men clung to the back for a ride. Where are you going? "Diabaly," the driver shouted back.

The Islamists’ retreat back into the shrub and sand from which they’d come appears to mark the end of the first phase of France’s new war in West Africa – and if there was any single lesson to learn from its short span, it was this: the Malian military is not going to fight this war, or at least not in its current form.

SIGN UP

That’ll come as no surprise to policymakers who’ve spent months trying to figure out how to save Mali from imploding. Still, the scale of the Malian army’s failure in the face of the jihadists – who careen into battles amid shouts of "Allahu Akbar," winning them a reputation here for not fearing death – is startling.

France did exactly what it promised in its first week of operations in Mali, pounding the rebels from the air, forcing the rebels to withdraw and winning praise from Malians who reported that the French hit rebel trucks with only minimal damage to nearby civilian structures. Amazingly, there were no reports of civilian collateral deaths from the bombardments, even though the rebels tried to use civilian areas for shelter.

But even with the rebels gone, the Malian military hesitated to advance and hold down the position. Civilians returned more quickly. They also seemed to have better information.

"The rebels have all fled, so we are heading back," said Brahima Samake, whose graying beard jutted out from a window on the crowded bus. "The info we have, we are sure of it."

Friends in the nearby village of Dogofry had called him, he said, and told him that more than 45 rebel vehicles had sped through on their retreat northeast.

Sure enough, an hour later, Massako Konta drove his motorcycle into Niono, coated in dust from the journey from Dogofry. Asked if he saw the rebel convoy go through his town, he did not hesitate to repeat what he knew: 49 pick-up trucks, two larger trucks, and two heavier armored vehicles had passed through his village between 5:40 p.m. Thursday and 9 a.m. Friday.

"They drove with their headlights off. We stayed up all night counting," he said.

"The road is now clear," he said.

He pulled out his phone to show photos of the charred shells of pick-up trucks in Diabaly. "I counted eight destroyed trucks," he said. "They’ve left behind lots of armaments, too."

In order to take over Mali’s vast and harsh Saharan north, France will need ground troops willing to fight.

The Malian military similarly did not re-take Konna, the target of France’s initial airstrikes east of the Niger River, for several days, even though France had reported that rebels had initially been driven away. When Diabaly fell on Monday, local authorities admitted the Malian troops at two nearby military camps also retreated from the area without a fight.

That leaves France with two obvious options to push the battle into the rebels’ own desert turf – going on it on their own, with the Malian army only symbolically at their side; or waiting, likely for months, for West African troops from other countries to be assembled and trained into a battle-ready force.

On Saturday afternoon, a dozen Malian army vehicles drove north out of Niono and never returned. Col. Sangare, when contacted by phone, said he could not comment on whether they had entered Diabaly.

But residents here knew who to thank for the victory. Hours later, a large French convoy of over 20 vehicles headed north, led by four Malian trucks.

When the convoy returned two hours later, people chanted in the streets: "Vive la France, Vive la France."

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story