McClatchy DC Logo

Slaying of 10-year-old boy at theater triggers anguish in Mexico City | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Slaying of 10-year-old boy at theater triggers anguish in Mexico City

By Tim Johnson - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

November 13, 2012 04:17 PM

The slaying of a 10-year-old boy at a movie theater to see the animated Disney film “Wreck-It Ralph” has caused a commotion in Mexico’s capital and cast a harsh light on the inaction of police and prosecutors.

Someone fired a single gunshot that struck the head of Hendrik Cuacuas while his father and 12-year-old sister sat beside him. The slaying occurred Nov. 2, but news of it only broke this week.

Public anger prompted investigators to seal off the cinema and continue interrogating employees Tuesday about the youngster’s slaying. Cinepolis, the world’s fourth largest theater chain, also came under fire for allowing the feature film to continue after the mortally wounded boy’s evacuation.

The father of the boy, Enrique Cuacuas Miranda, an engineer, said he took his son and daughter to see “Wreck-it Ralph” at a multiplex theater in the Ixtapalapa area of the capital. About half an hour after the feature began, Cuacuas said he “heard something whistle by my ear.” Moments later, he turned to see his son in convulsions.

SIGN UP

“I tried to get him to talk to me, to respond, and he wouldn’t,” Cuacuas told the W Radio network.

Unbeknownst to Cuacuas, someone in a row in front of his family had fired a gun at his son’s head. For an unknown reason, the shot produced neither a loud report nor a muzzle flash.

Upon feeling blood on his son’s head, Cuacuas took action.

“I stood up and said, ‘No one leaves here until this is cleared up. I’m going for the manager,’” Cuacuas said.

Employees stopped the film and turned on the lights. A gurney arrived but it was not immediately clear that the boy had been shot, only that he was in convulsions and bleeding from the head.

Some of the 274 people crowding the theater shouted at Cuacuas for interrupting the show. Cuacuas recalled that they said “maybe I was the one who hurt him.”

The family accompanied the wounded boy to the basement of the Plaza Ermita center. When a Red Cross ambulance failed to arrive, a theater employee took the boy in his own vehicle to a nearby hospital. He was transferred later in the evening to better-equipped hospital.

After X-rays were taken, Cuacuas said he learned that it wasn’t a piece of glass or other projectile that hit his son but a bullet. The boy died of complications Nov. 4.

On Monday night, city coroner Edmundo Takahashi Medina said the shot came from only a yard or so away.

“They must catch the wretch who did this,” Cuacuas told another radio network, Radio Red.

More than a week after the incident, the city prosecutors office promised to take action.

“We will ask for the (closed circuit) videos of the theater. We’ll ask all employees who were there at the time to testify to seek what they say, and also to the cinema company,” said Edmundo Garrido Osorio, an assistant city prosecutor.

The boy’s distraught grandmother, Lourdes Olivares, told Milenio Television that Cinepolis, Mexico’s largest movie theater chain, should have closed the multiplex at Plaza Ermita long ago.

“Drug addicts go there, and they should do something about this,” Olivares said. “I ask for all mothers not to let their children go to this movie theater.”

The legal director for Cinepolis, Pablo Jimenez, said Tuesday that none of those in the theater heard a gunshot, defending the chain from criticism for continuing the film.

“There was never any panic or anything like that, and that’s why we didn’t suspend the showing. There wasn’t information available that would make us think that we ought to take this kind of action,” Jimenez said.

Jimenez said the chain only learned of the boy’s death this week.

Consternation about the boy’s slaying exploded on social media in Mexico, where #CinepolisAsesino (Cinepolis murderer) became a trending topic on Twitter.

Typical of comments was one by @jomarmtz, who wrote: “I’d rather download movies illegally than go to #CinepolisAsesino. How bad for that boy.”

Ruben Arellano, a television reporter in the neighboring state of Mexico, tweeted that Mexico City crime analysts “begin investigations at the scene of the homicide only 10 days late. Incredible!”

Mexico City has largely avoided drug-related violence affecting other parts of the country, and the homicide rate is lower than in some U.S. cities.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

To some Mennonites in Mexico, Russia looks like Promised Land

November 12, 2012 12:00 AM

world

Mexico charges police in August ambush that wounded 2 Americans

November 09, 2012 03:50 PM

world

Mexico’s drug violence ebbing, leaving a new sense of optimism

November 02, 2012 04:21 PM

world

Mexico City’s new subway line expected to cut time, fare, pollution

October 30, 2012 06:08 PM

world

Statue of Azerbaijan dictator brings distant conflict to Mexico City’s Chapultepec Park

October 24, 2012 02:46 PM

world

Navy has become Mexico’s most important crime-fighting force

October 23, 2012 11:54 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

January 04, 2019 04:12 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story