McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. joins Turkey, Iran in call for brief cease-fire in Syria’s civil war | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

U.S. joins Turkey, Iran in call for brief cease-fire in Syria’s civil war

By Hannah Allam - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

October 19, 2012 07:19 PM

The Obama administration on Friday threw its support behind a U.N.-led proposal for a brief cease-fire in Syria during a Muslim holiday next week, the first significant initiative put forth under a renewed diplomatic push.

Lakhdar Brahimi, a veteran Algerian diplomat serving as the U.N.’s new special envoy to Syria, arrived in Damascus on Friday to seek support for the plan, which calls for both government and rebel forces to lay down their arms from Oct. 26 through 28.

The idea is not only to allow Syrians to enjoy a peaceful Eid al Adha, an important Islamic holiday, but also to carve an opening for negotiations to end the civil war that that has killed more than 30,000 people in 19 months.

The plan already had received support from Turkey, which backs the rebels, and Iran, which supports the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad. Arab League chief Nabil el Araby and U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon issued a joint endorsement of the plan and implored the warring parties to observe it with “a cessation of all violence in all its forms during the period of Eid al-Adha.”

SIGN UP

The United States chimed in Friday afternoon, with a statement in support.

“We urge the Syrian government to stop all military operations and call on opposition forces to follow suit,” the State Department release said. “The Syrian government should also permit full and immediate humanitarian access to districts that have been under siege and allow vital supplies to reach people in need.”

Brahimi recognized earlier this week that a three-day cease-fire would be “a small stride.” But he said it might lead to talks “about withdrawing heavy weapons and halting the flow of arms from outside” and enable a “political solution to the crisis.”

Winning even a brief respite from the bloodshed might help Western powers take Brahimi seriously, when skepticism abounds as to how to bring back to the dialog groups that are now even more bloodied and hardened. The U.N.’s previously brokered cease-fire in April never took full effect, though the number of casualties reported by Syrian human rights groups dropped during both April and May before rebels declared the cease-fire over. The monthly death toll quickly reached record levels after the cease-fire ended.

Reaction to the plan was mixed in Syria, where violence continues.

Some rebels embraced Brahimi’s plan, including an alliance of opposition commanders who recorded a YouTube video saying they’d accept the cease-fire proposal on condition that the regime lift the siege on the city of Homs and release prisoners, especially women.

Other opposition forces, however, rejected the proposal as just one more ploy to buy time for the regime to rest before unleashing another punishing campaign against rebellious areas, according to news reports.

Assad’s regime appeared lukewarm toward the idea. A state-run newspaper, al Thawra, said in an editorial this week that the rebels’ lack of central authority was the biggest obstacle to a truce, according to an AP translation. It was unclear whether, after Brahimi’s visit Friday, Syrian officials had softened their stance.

“There is the state, represented by the government and the army on one front,” the paper said in the editorial, “but who is on the other front?”

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story