McClatchy DC Logo

Kofi Annan quits peace mission; more Syrian bloodshed ahead | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Kofi Annan quits peace mission; more Syrian bloodshed ahead

By Hannah Allam and David Enders - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 02, 2012 12:00 AM

The resignation Thursday of veteran diplomat Kofi Annan and the collapse of diplomatic efforts on Syria by the United Nations and the Arab League all but assure a bloody finish to the uprising against President Bashar Assad.

Annan’s tenure as mediator yielded several abortive attempts to wring a peaceful transition from what’s become a civil war with dire regional implications, including an expanding refugee crisis and a new battleground for militant Islamists.

The envoy’s pleas for both sides to stop fighting and start negotiating were seen as so ineffective that Syrian activists on Twitter joked Thursday, “Annan resigned? From what?” Both U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the U.N., issued statements that used the word “thankless” to describe Annan’s unenviable position between the warring parties.

Annan told a news conference in Geneva that some had dubbed his task “Mission Impossible.” He blamed all sides for the breakdown in diplomacy, which he said rendered his role ineffective.

SIGN UP

“The bloodshed continues, most of all because of the Syrian government’s intransigence and continuing refusal to implement the six-point plan,” Annan said, “and also because of the escalating military campaign of the opposition – all of which is compounded by the disunity of the international community.”

Through 17 months of political isolation, harsh sanctions and insurgent attacks, Assad has clung to power. Annan’s departure, coupled with the refusal so far of the United States and other powers to intervene militarily, turns the fight to unseat him into a war of attrition between the ragtag rebels and the regime’s bloodied-but-resilient forces.

Thursday brought continued fighting across the country, including in the capital, Damascus, and in Aleppo, the country’s largest city and its economic hub. The Syrian government reportedly was sending reinforcements to Aleppo as it attempted to dislodge rebels there from a number of neighborhoods that had been used to launch attacks on security forces across the city.

“The conflict continues to spiral out of control, with shocking atrocities and human rights abuses coming to light almost every day and now being committed by both sides,” Suzanne Nossel, the U.S. director of the human rights group Amnesty International, said in a statement.

Nossel called Annan’s resignation the “culmination of a string of failures” by the international community to rein in the violence.

Secretary-General Ban announced Annan’s departure in a brief statement that praised him for “the selfless way in which he has put his formidable skills and prestige to this most difficult and potentially thankless of assignments.” The statement added that Ban and Arab League chief Nabil al Araby were in talks to pick a successor.

Many Syrian opposition activists criticized Annan’s plan from Day One, calling it a ploy to buy more time for both Assad’s regime and the U.S. administration, which is loath to take risky action in Syria with a presidential election looming.

Most Syrians who are opposed to Assad’s government never held much faith in Annan’s efforts to reach a peaceful agreement with a government in which they’d long ago lost trust. Others feared that Syria finally had fully become a proxy battleground for the interests of outside countries.

"No one cares about Annan and his plan," said Ammar Dandash, an anti-government activist in northern Syria who said that no one around him had even remarked on the envoy’s resignation.

Rice, the U.S. ambassador, blamed the failure of diplomacy on both an Assad regime that “continuously broke its pledges” and on unnamed U.N. Security Council members – a reference to Russia and China – that vetoed international sanctions against the Damascus government on three occasions.

“Those members who blocked this action effectively made Mr. Annan’s mission impossible,” Rice said in her statement.

Political analysts, journalists on the ground and Russian allies of Assad all have noted that the opposition camp also failed to implement its side of the Annan-brokered agreement. Opposition forces refused to negotiate while Assad was president, broke the cease-fire first on some occasions and harassed U.N. monitors who were visiting opposition enclaves, according to analysts and news reports.

“The opposition didn’t want anything but the removal of the regime, and the regime didn’t want anything but the removal of the opposition, so Annan was irrelevant from the beginning,” said Azzedine Layachi, a Middle East specialist and professor of government at St. John’s University in New York. “By deciding now that it’s time to leave, he’s trying to save as much as he can of his prestige.”

Already, cartoons have circulated depicting Syria as Annan’s “second Rwanda,” a reference to the African genocide that Annan publicly has said he could’ve done more to prevent during his time as head of U.N. peacekeeping forces in the mid-1990s.

As the fighting has intensified in the last two weeks with sustained rebel offensives in Damascus and Aleppo, civilian and rebel death tolls of more than 100 a day have become common. The Syrian government stopped reporting military and security forces’ deaths in June, when rebels killed at least 649 soldiers, according the government.

Executions have become commonplace, with each side accusing the other of atrocities this week. Residents of southern Damascus said 26 people were executed on Wednesday in Yalda, while rebels posted video of executions of government supporters in Aleppo earlier this week. Heavy shelling and casualties were reported by anti-government activists across the country, including in Damascus.

Allam reported from Washington; Enders, a McClatchy special correspondent, reported from Beirut.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Rebels give inside account of Damascus fighting, saying holding neighborhoods was never plan

August 02, 2012 12:00 AM

world

U.S. eases arms purchases for Syrian rebels

August 01, 2012 12:00 AM

world

Syria government reportedly showing more restraint in Aleppo fighting

July 31, 2012 12:00 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story