McClatchy DC Logo

Two NATO soldiers killed by men in Afghan police uniforms in latest ‘green-on-blue’ attack | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Two NATO soldiers killed by men in Afghan police uniforms in latest ‘green-on-blue’ attack

By Jon Stephenson - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 12, 2012 12:00 AM

KABUL , Afghanistan Two members of the U.S.-led coalition were killed Saturday when two men wearing Afghan police uniforms opened fire on them at an undisclosed location in southern Afghanistan.

A spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force, the official name of the U.S.-led coalition, told McClatchy that one of the attackers was killed when coalition forces returned fire. A hunt is underway for the second attacker, who escaped.

ISAF refused to provide the nationality or gender of the dead soldiers, but said it had launched an investigation into the incident. It also declined to say where the attack had occurred, the other reports placed it in Helmand province, where U.S. troops have been battling the Taliban.

The attack is the latest in a series of so-called “green-on-blue” killings that have seen Afghan soldiers or policemen turn their weapons on their coalition colleagues. ISAF said last week that it had recorded 15 “green-on-blue” attacks so far this year which had resulted in 20 coalition deaths.

SIGN UP

There were 21 such attacks in all of last year, killing 35 coalition members.

Service members from the U.S. and NATO countries are based with Afghan soldiers and policemen throughout Afghanistan as part of a major training and “mentoring” effort.

The program is supposed to prepare Afghan forces to take over responsibility for their nation’s security when the U.S.-led coalition withdraws most of its combat troops by the end of 2014.

However, the “green-on-blue” attacks have created doubt among coalition members about the trustworthiness of Afghanistan’s fledgling army and police force.

The Taliban have claimed responsibility for many of the incidents, saying its members have infiltrated the security forces.

But ISAF insists the attacks are generally isolated acts by Afghans angry at the way they have been treated by their foreign counterparts.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

After a decade, Afghan forces don't trust Americans

May 12, 2012 12:00 AM

HOMEPAGE

Afghan 'allies' kill 3 more soldiers from U.S.-led coalition

May 12, 2012 12:00 AM

HOMEPAGE

At southern Afghan outpost, U.S. soldiers prepare for transition

May 12, 2012 12:00 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Nobody knows exactly how many assault rifles exist in the U.S. – by design

February 23, 2018 06:21 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story