McClatchy DC Logo

Syria’s Farouq rebels battle to hold onto Qusayr, last outpost near Lebanese border | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Syria’s Farouq rebels battle to hold onto Qusayr, last outpost near Lebanese border

By David Enders - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 19, 2012 05:00 AM

As representatives of the more than 70 countries dubbed Friends of Syria met in Paris on Thursday to discuss aid to the country’s opposition, some of the fighters here wondered if it might already be too late.

"Maybe this will be the end," said Ammar al Bukiyah, one of the leaders of the Farouq Brigade, the largest group of rebels operating under the umbrella of the Free Syrian Army, the loosely organized armed opposition to Syrian President Bashar Assad. As Bukiyah spoke, shells and rockets fell nearby, rattling the windows of the house that had become a makeshift military base.

Many of the fighters in this largely empty city that was once home to about 35,000 people came here from nearby Homs, Syria’s third largest city, at the end of February, when they abandoned their positions in the Baba Amr neighborhood after weeks of fierce shelling. Since then, the fighters here controlled Qusayr’s northern half, a position that has appeared tenuous more than once as the Syrian military expanded its offensive against the rebels all over the country. On Thursday, the rebels fought the army for the second day in a row as pro-Assad tanks and troops attempted to enter rebel-held territory from the east.

At the beginning of March, the rebels here had said they would leave Qusayr so as not to condemn it to the same fate as Baba Amr, which was largely destroyed by shelling before loyalist ground troops moved in. But as the rebels have run out of places to go, that seems to have changed. "We will fight to the death," said Bukiyah, a 35-year-old house painter wearing a black tracksuit who spoke as he helped manage a battle that began around 8 a.m. and ended in the early afternoon.

SIGN UP

The rebels claimed to have destroyed a pair of Syrian tanks and an armored personnel carrier, as well as killing more than a dozen Syrian soldiers in the two days of fighting. The driver of a Syrian tank also defected during the battle, according to the rebels.

The battle here shows the complexity of the conflict that now simmers in Syria. While the anti-Assad movement began as peaceful demonstrations against a repressive government, it has for much of the past year become a struggle between armed rebels and the better-equipped Syrian military. Neither side is willing to concede turf to the other in the wake of a U.N.-brokered cease-fire that went into effect a week ago.

In Paris, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon demanded that Syria pull its forces out of cities and town, saying keeping troops and tanks in populated areas violated the terms of the cease-fire. But he stopped short of saying the cease-fire had failed and called for the Security Council to approve the dispatch of as many as 300 monitors to determine whether the two sides were adhering to the cease-fire.

There are few civilians left in Qusayr and surrounding towns and villages. Those who have remained seem to have grown accustomed to the sounds of gunfire, shelling and rockets, walking calmly through a neighborhood that was home for dozens of fighters.

As evening fell, the rebels were preparing for a third day of battle. Bukiyah used Skype to talk to Abdel Rizaq Tlass, the leader of the Farouq Brigade, asking him for reinforcements and weapons. Tlass remains in Homs, which looks increasingly as though it will be abandoned by the Free Syrian Army after two and a half months of heavy shelling.

"Homs is destroyed," Bukiyah said.

The fighters in Qusayr who came from Homs had been hoping to return there at the beginning of the week. But as the army moved against them in Qusayr and increased the number of checkpoints between the two cities, going back became increasingly unlikely. Rather, the rebels in Qusayr were talking about Homs being abandoned by fighters entirely.

Bukiyah’s personal story follows that of the larger uprising against the government, which began with three months of peaceful demonstrations before becoming an armed rebellion in response to Assad’s violent crackdown that left hundreds dead and thousands in prison. "I began as a peaceful demonstrator," he said. "But if we don’t fight, Bashar Assad will kill us all."

As the conflict intensified, casualties ballooned. The London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which has kept the most detailed records of any group, says more than 10,000 people have died; the Syrian government says 3,000 soldiers and police have died in the conflict.

In August, Bukiyah helped start the Farouq Brigade’s branch in Baba Amr, which the fighters took over, then earned fame for withstanding a month of heavy shelling before running short of ammunition and withdrawing at the end of February.

"Baba Amr was a victory," Bukiyah said. "They could only enter after a month of shelling."

Bukiyah said 2,000 Farouq fighters have been killed since August.

The Syrian military on Thursday also shelled the town of Jusey, between Qusayr and the Lebanese border, further pressing the areas that remain under rebel control. Like Qusayr, the residents of Jusey have largely fled, leaving mostly fighters, also from the Farouq Brigade.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

A Syrian rebel commander bemoans lack of international aid

April 19, 2012 05:00 AM

HOMEPAGE

Syrian rebels, but not residents, have returned to contested area

April 19, 2012 05:00 AM

HOMEPAGE

One face of the Syrian revolt: a jihadi comes home

April 19, 2012 05:00 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story