McClatchy DC Logo

Syrian army, rebels trade blows at Qusayr in cease-fire breach | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Syrian army, rebels trade blows at Qusayr in cease-fire breach

By David Enders - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 18, 2012 12:00 AM

Rebels here fought the Syrian military Wednesday in a breach of a U.N.-sponsored cease-fire that was rare primarily because it was witnessed by an independent journalist who’d entered the country surreptitiously earlier this week.

The fighting began in this city near the Lebanese border in the early afternoon after a group from the Free Syrian Army, the name claimed by most of the rebels who’ve taken up arms against the government of President Bashar Assad, attacked a military convoy near the city.

Fighters here had said earlier this week that they were respecting the cease-fire brokered by U.N. Syria envoy Kofi Annan at the behest of Riad al Assad, a Syrian army colonel who defected and is now the nominal leader of the rebels in Turkey.

The fighting in Qusayr took place as a U.N. monitoring team visited Douma, a site of frequent clashes between the rebels and the military on the outskirts of Damascus, Syria’s capital.

SIGN UP

In Hama, another site of frequent violence north of Homs, anti-government activists reported two deaths Wednesday and a number of demonstrations against the government. They also reported that the military was increasing the number of checkpoints between Hama and Idlib, a city in the country’s north that rebels had held until March and that’s part of the rebel supply line from Syria’s border with Turkey.

The fighters in Qusayr, most of whom belong to the Farouq Brigade, the Free Syrian Army’s largest group, accused the government of violating the terms of the cease-fire by increasing the number of troops in the area during the past week. They said that shelling, which has been heard and seen in nearby villages frequently since Sunday, was intended to protect the government forces as they set up checkpoints along main roads here in hopes of disrupting rebel movements.

As tanks began shelling Qusayr, rebels here grabbed their weapons and headed in the direction of the fighting. They were obviously mismatched, as they loaded nothing heavier than rocket-propelled grenades into a pair of pickups and a sedan whose windows had been shot out in a previous battle.

“We are still respecting the cease-fire,” said Mohammed Idris, a commander in the Farouq Brigade here. “What is going on now is defense.”

U.N. officials, hopeful of giving the cease-fire time to take hold as they increase the number of monitors in Syria, have said that isolated violations are to be expected. But reports indicated that government shelling hadn’t stopped in Homs, the country’s third largest city, since the cease-fire went into effect and that the daily death toll was creeping upward throughout the country after violence subsided briefly in the first few days of the cease-fire. An estimated 70 people were killed Tuesday, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, an opposition group that tracks casualties. According to the group, 44 of those died in heavy shelling in the northern city of Idlib.

The Farouq Brigade is best known as the rebel force that took control of the Baba Amr neighborhood in Homs late last year and held it until early March, when it withdrew after 26 days of fierce government bombardment.

In Qusayr, a town of about 35,000, the Farouq Brigade has controlled roughly half the city since September, while the Syrian military controls the other half. Most residents fled months ago.

A battle here in mid-March resulted in heavy shelling that damaged a number of buildings, but little change in the front lines. The cemetery that opened here after the rebellion began a year ago holds the bodies of about 200 people, 50 of whom died in the last month. Anti-government activists said that only 10 of those buried in the cemetery had died fighting, and the rest were civilians or soldiers who attempted or were suspected of attempting to defect from the military. There’s no way to confirm their story.

The fighting Wednesday appeared to have had little effect on the dynamics in the city. After a brief clash, the military pulled back and opened fire with tanks and mortars. Though rebel fighters were visible on the streets, the shelling didn’t appear to target them, hitting instead various buildings in the rebel part of the city.

The makeshift hospital on the rebel-held side of Qusayr reported one death and four injuries as a result of the fighting. All casualties were civilians, according to medical personnel at the hospital. One mortar round landed close enough to the hospital to break its windows.

Inside the hospital lay a pair of wounded youths, one 10 years old. He was found in the street after a shell landed.

“We don’t know who this boy is,” a nurse said. Her identity is being withheld for her safety.

The hospital itself is a testament to the trouble in the city. Since Syrian government security forces occupied the city’s main hospital seven months ago, most of the wounded in Qusayr have come to the rebel hospital for treatment. Perhaps 30 people whose ailments would have been treatable at the main hospital died as a result, a doctor at the hospital said Tuesday.

On Monday, hundreds of residents marched through the streets in a funeral procession for a young man who was killed by shelling on the outskirts of the city. He was in his house on the rebel-held side of the city at the time.

“Nobody will help us but God!” the residents chanted as they made their way to the cemetery. “The regime is corrupt and the enemy of God!”

Demonstrations take place daily in Qusayr, but the one planned for Wednesday was canceled as gunfire and shelling echoed into the early evening.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which has documented the most extensive list of casualties since the uprising began, has recorded more than 10,000 deaths, nearly 8,000 of them civilians.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story