McClatchy DC Logo

Tiny Guinea-Bissau becomes latest West African nation hit by coup | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Tiny Guinea-Bissau becomes latest West African nation hit by coup

Chris Collins - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 12, 2012 07:56 PM

BISSAU, Guinea-Bissau — The military here took control of the national radio station Thursday night and raided the headquarters of the country's ruling party, raising fears that another coup is unfolding in West Africa.

Eyewitnesses reported residents running in the streets as gunfire and mortar rounds went off in the capital's downtown district, where electricity had been cut off. There were rumors that former Prime Minister Carlos Gomes Jr., who was expected to be elected president later this month, had been arrested. Soldiers were seen occupying his house in Bissau, according to reports.

"Everybody was running to get back to their homes," said Andrew Stutzman, an American missionary from Pennsylvania who was not far from downtown Bissau when the shooting began. "People were definitely nervous. The transport vehicles weren't really taking people."

The apparent coup comes on the heels of a coup in Mali three weeks ago — a nearby country that had been seen as relatively stable. Guinea-Bissau, in contrast, has had several coups since a bloody 13-year war for independence from Portugal ended in 1974.

SIGN UP

No elected president here has ever finished a full term. In 2009, the president was assassinated. And in January this year, his replacement, Malam Bacai Sanha, died from complications related to diabetes.

In an emergency presidential election on March 18, Gomes won 49 percent — just shy of enough to win the election outright. A runoff is scheduled for April 29, but opposition candidates, including former President Kumba Yala, declared the first round of elections fraudulent, though international observers said there were no irregularities.

Yala, who has a good relationship with the military, has refused to participate in the runoff election. He warned at a recent press conference: "Whoever dares to campaign will be responsible for what happens."

The nation also is a hotbed for the cocaine trade. Latin American drug smugglers ferry the drugs here to the nation's uninhabited islands in the Atlantic Ocean. From there it is trafficked to Europe.

(Collins is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Military grabs power in Africa's Mali as Libya fallout spreads

With Gadhafi on the run, focus turns to Sahara's Tuareg

How big a threat is Al Qaida's North Africa branch?

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

New USS Cole case judge quitting military to join immigration court

January 07, 2019 12:20 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story