McClatchy DC Logo

Flights grounded at Yemen airport | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Flights grounded at Yemen airport

Adam Baron - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 07, 2012 04:33 PM

SANAA, Yemen — Flights from Sanaa International Airport were grounded Saturday, in the wake of fears that forces loyal to recently sacked air force head, General Mohamed Saleh al-Ahmar, half-brother of former Yemeni president Ali Abdullah Saleh, would target civilian planes in retaliation for his replacement.

The shuttering of Yemen's primary international airport comes less than 24 hours after Yemeni president Abdo Rabbu Mansour Hadi announced a large-scale reshuffling of key civilian and military positions. In addition to making a number of changes in the Yemeni military — including replacing al-Ahmar, the target of a months-long mutiny within the air force's ranks — Hadi also appointed new governors in four provinces.

Airport security officials said that the flights had been canceled since early Saturday morning, following an outburst of gunfire from the direction of the Dailami air force base, which lies adjacent to the airport. But by the afternoon, the scene at the airport was one of a tense calm. Surrounding roads remained open to traffic, and stranded travelers freely moved around airport as they attempted to gather information about canceled flights. And many of those tasked with guarding the airport openly expressed their disbelief at the possibility of a renewed flare-up of violence.

"Mohamed Saleh is angry, so we all have to suffer," said a soldier stationed at the airport, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "The idea of attacking civilian planes — it's crazy."

SIGN UP

Friday evening's announcement was Hadi's most significant exercise of power since he took office in February in accordance with a western-backed power transfer deal aimed at securing the exit of former president Saleh — the target of months of street protests — from power.

Described by Mohamed al-Basha, a government spokesman, as "the biggest military shakeup in Yemen's modern history," Hadi's decrees were widely seen as a sign of the new president's commitment to pushing forward substantive changes in Yemen and a move to allay worries that Hadi — Saleh's deputy since 1994 — would be unable or unwilling to exert control over holdovers from his former boss' regime.

But while his slew of proclamations were initially met with optimism, the closure of the airport underscored the difficulties facing Hadi as he embarks on the difficult process of reforming Yemen's military, which for more than a year has been divided between defected and loyalist units, many of which are still headed by Saleh's relatives.

Since assuming office, Hadi has garnered the vocal backing of much of the international community, and in the wake of the airport's closure, a number of western and Arab ambassadors to Yemen issued a joint letter stressing their support for the president.

But many have raised fears that allies of Saleh — who, despite speculation that he would seek residence elsewhere, continues to reside in Yemen — would interfere with efforts toward political reform, threatening to push the already fractious nation, which has been wracked by sporadic factional clashes for much of the past year, back to the brink of civil war.

Many of those still loyal to the former president have balked at efforts to purge Yemen's military of Saleh's family members, stating that any military reshuffling must include the sacking of General Ali Mohsen, a powerful general and former ally who dropped support for the former president in March.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

With president gone, Yemen seeks to remake military

Yemenis fear there'll be no change with new president

Yemen's weakened military suffers setback against Islamist militants

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story