McClatchy DC Logo

With peace deadline nearing, Syria sends helicopters against rebels | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

With peace deadline nearing, Syria sends helicopters against rebels

David Enders - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 05, 2012 04:28 PM

BEIRUT — The Syrian military stepped up its campaign against anti-government rebels Thursday as a deadline for the government to implement a U.N.-sponsored peace plan approached, while the country's fractured opposition took a step toward unity with representatives of Syria's Kurdish minority.

In the last two days, President Bashar Assad's troops have increased their use of helicopter gunships in rebel areas near Aleppo, the country's largest city, and outside the city of Idlib in the country's restive north.

"They fired today inside Idlib governorate with helicopters in the morning and at around 2 p.m.," said Abu Khalid, an anti-government activist in Idlib. "They have taken some of the soldiers out of the center of Idlib, but they are moving against nearby villages."

In Geneva, a spokesman for Kofi Annan, the United Nations' special representative to Syria, said the Syrian government had told Annan's office that troops and armor had been removed from three key cities Thursday: Idlib, Zabadani and the southern city of Daraa.

SIGN UP

"They are using tanks, helicopters and heavy weapons in Taftanaz and Killi," villages outside Idlib, said Abu Khalid, who spoke via Skype using an alias that means "Father of Khalid" in Arabic. "Yesterday they killed more than 35 people in Taftanaz."

Shelling reportedly also continued in Homs, a central city of more than 1 million near the Lebanese border that's seen more than two months of nonstop fighting.

"Don't believe that Assad will change. Not even one soldier has been removed. Everything is the same. Nothing has changed at all," said an anti-government activist in Homs, also reached via Skype. He requested anonymity. "There are snipers and there is continuous killing. The situation in Homs is still the same: They are destroying everything."

"Yesterday they killed five people in Baba Amr," the activist said, referring to a neighborhood in Homs that was subjected to a month of heavy shelling that killed hundreds of civilians before fighters withdrew from the area at the end of February. Though Syrian soldiers are now in the neighborhood, clashes have continued in nearby neighborhoods.

Zabadani, a town near the Lebanese border that was briefly out of government control before the military retook it in February, also was being shelled, according to activists, who said heavy armor remained there.

The situation appeared to be similar in the restive Damascus suburb of Douma, which has seen an number of clashes between the military and the Free Syrian Army, the loosely organized and lightly armed groups of army defectors and volunteers who took up arms last year, morphing what began as a peaceful revolution into a lopsided military conflict.

The Associated Press reported that the military used helicopters against fighters Wednesday in Haraytan, a town of about 50,000 outside Aleppo. Fighting has increased around Aleppo in past months, possibly as rebels have moved out of areas around Homs and Idlib in search of safer ground in the face of government offensives.

Activists who were transporting wounded fighters from Haraytan to Damascus said fighting continued Thursday in Haraytan. An unknown number of civilians remained in the town, unable to leave because of the fighting.

In Damascus, activists posted video of tanks on the streets in Barzeh, in the northern part of the city, and reported arrests during a funeral in Kfar Sousseh, in the southwest part of the city.

In Turkey, two prominent Syrian Kurdish groups, the Kurdish Freedom Party and the Kurdish Future Party, which had split in March from the most prominent Syrian opposition group, the Syrian National Council, announced that they'd rejoined the council.

The groups said they took the step after the council agreed to put an additional paragraph in its "national contract for the new Syria" recognizing "Kurdish identity" and promising that a post-Assad government led by the council would pay reparations to Syrian Kurds, who make up about 10 percent of the country's population and until last year were largely denied citizenship.

"We put an additional paragraph to the national contract of new Syria document. After that, the Kurdish groups who left our conference last week with the aim of unification have accepted to be under the roof of the SNC," said Khaled Khoja, a Syrian National Council representative in Turkey.

The United Nations said in February that based on statistics provided by activists, more than 9,000 Syrian civilians and military defectors had been killed since March 2011. Syrian activists place the number at more than 10,000, and the government has said the rebels have killed more than 3,000 soldiers, policemen and civilians. It's unclear whether those deaths are in addition to those the anti-government activists reported or whether there's overlap between the numbers.

(Enders is a McClatchy special correspondent. Special correspondent Ipek Yezdani contributed to this article from Istanbul.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

In rare interviews, Syrian ex-soldiers talk of killing civilians

Assad tightens grip on Syrian borders, cutting rebel supply routes

One face of the Syrian revolt: a jihadi comes home

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story