McClatchy DC Logo

Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood names ex political prisoner as its presidential candidate | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood names ex political prisoner as its presidential candidate

Mohannad Sabry - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 31, 2012 06:50 PM

CAIRO — Egypt's powerful Muslim Brotherhood announced late Saturday that it had decided to nominate Khairat el Shater, a member of its ruling Guidance Council and a powerful business tycoon, to become Egypt's next president.

El Shater's candidacy was decided on a secret vote by the Guidance Council.

The move is likely to roil Egypt's already tense political scene. The Brotherhood, whose Freedom and Justice party already controls 47 percent of the country's new Parliament and a majority of the 100-member Constituent Assembly charged with writing a new constitution, had pledged months ago that it would not run its own candidate for president. Liberal political groups and others have complained that the Brotherhood, effectively outlawed during the regime of ousted President Hosni Mubarak, is now putting itself in a position to wield unchallenged power.

Mohamed Badei, the Brotherhood's supreme guide, the movement's top official, announced El Shater's nomination at a news conference at the group's headquarters.

SIGN UP

"Khairat el Shater accepted the decision and filed his resignation as member of the Brotherhood's Guidance Council and deputy to the supreme guide to become a president representing all Egyptians," Badei said.

Mahmoud Hussein, the Brotherhood's secretary general, said a number of factors had led to the movement's decision to name a candidate. Among them he said were "the lack of an effective government that represents the public, threats to dissolve the Parliament, and the presidential candidacy of members of the former regime."

"The movement changed its decision after spotting real threats to the revolution and democracy," Hussein said.

He said El Shater was nominated after the movement failed to persuade other unnamed public figures to run.

El Shater, 62, who has 10 children and 16 grandchildren, made millions with a successful textile and furniture business and has been a top financier of the Brotherhood for years. He was prosecuted by the Mubarak administration multiple times on charges of financing a banned movement, most recently in 2008, when he was sentenced to seven years in prison. It was the longest sentence ever handed to a Brotherhood member during Mubarak's rule.

Shortly after Mubarak was removed from office, the head of the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, pardoned El Shater.

That pardon made El Shater eligible to run in the May 23 presidential election.

"El Shater has every right to practice politics, including running for the presidential post," said Abdelmonem Abdelmaksod, the Brotherhood's top lawyer.

The decision to nominate a candidate had been expected in recent days, but it was still viewed as a shocking reversal by many, especially since the Brotherhood had essentially dismissed another former member of the Guidance Council, Abdelmonem Abolfotoh, for joining the race in defiance of the movement's earlier vow not to offer a presidential candidate.

"The decision is very late and shocking," said Mahmoud Abdelshafi, the head of the independent Islamist Lawyers Union who's represented both El Shater and Abolfotoh in the past. "They've just announced repenting on what they'd promoted for months."

Meanwhile, the head of the Freedom and Justice Party, Mohamed Morsi, defended the change.

"The current circumstances led us to decide differently," said Morsi. "We have taken this decision and we are fully responsible for it."

(Sabry is McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Islamist will chair panel that's writing Egypt's constitution

Egypt's religious hardliners make a rocky debut in Parliament

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story