McClatchy DC Logo

Mission to reclaim U.S. soldiers' remains shelved as Korean tensions rise | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Mission to reclaim U.S. soldiers' remains shelved as Korean tensions rise

Matthew Schofield - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 27, 2012 04:14 PM

WASHINGTON — The first to fall in the Korean War are also among the first casualties of the current diplomatic impasse between the United States and North Korea.

Almost 60 years after the end of that conflict, American officials had hoped that thawing relations with North Korea would allow a team of forensic and archeological experts to visit that country to search for the remains of thousands of U.S. servicemen who are thought to have died there but whose bodies were never recovered.

The latest flare-up over the North Korean nuclear weapons program has dashed those hopes.

Just a month ago, in late February, it looked as if the remains-recovery effort would be possible, almost likely. North Korea stated a willingness to suspend long-range missile testing. An American team assembled in Hawaii and prepared to head to North Korea, perhaps in April. It would have been the first time since 2005 that Americans had been allowed to search for an estimated 5,300 U.S. war dead still there.

SIGN UP

"The sites that were identified for these excavations are areas where hundreds of American servicemen were lost in battle," the Pentagon said. Experts note that they fell in battlefields that have long since been returned to farming or abandoned.

But by mid-March, North Korea announced intentions of a three-stage missile launch. The North Koreans insist the launch, planned for mid-April, is to put a satellite into space and to honor founder Kim Il Sung's 100th birthday (he died in 1994). A North Korean Foreign Ministry statement on the matter noted: "We will never give up the launch of a satellite for peaceful purposes" and urged President Barack Obama to "acknowledge that we also have a right to launch satellites."

But, U.S. officials note, the planned launch, only weeks after a promise to suspend such launches, is an unacceptable breach of trust. The fear is that a launch, even for peaceful purposes, advances the North Korean weapons program.

"This is a matter of North Korea meeting its obligations," said Navy Capt. John Kirby, a spokesman for the Defense Department. "At this time, they've shown no willingness to do that. We can't reward such behavior."

Cooperative efforts were put on hold. Over the weekend, Obama noted that food aid could be withheld if the launch goes ahead. It also meant remains-recovery efforts, once again, were locked out.

While the remains in question are American, as are the families waiting for news, Defense Department spokesman George Little noted that North Korea benefits from the recovery efforts as well.

"They build goodwill in the eyes of the world by showing cooperation," he said. "They also lose by this suspension."

Cmdr. Leslie Hull-Ryde, a military spokesperson on this issue, said the search for fallen troops in North Korea remains a high priority. The missing represent the highest number from any conflict. In fact, the last American remains from Iraq were recently brought stateside.

The high number of dead still in North Korea is the result of both a bloody conflict and a nightmarish diplomatic situation.

In fact, in the 59 years since the end of the Korean War, American investigators have only been allowed inside North Korea to search for war dead between 1996 and 2005. During that time they found the remains of a suspected 229 troops, though only a few have been identified.

At other times, North Korean officials have turned over boxes of remains — 200 such boxes between 1990 and 1994, and another six in 2007.

U.S. success in identifying remains, however, has been slow. In all, 92 individuals have been identified.

As for when the recovery efforts might again be scheduled, Little noted, "That's entirely up to the North Koreans."

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

After Bales' arrest, military tried to delete him from Web

Murder case against U.S. soldier presents challenges for prosecutors

Congress airs differences on when to exit from Afghanistan

For more coverage visit McClatchy's World page.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story