McClatchy DC Logo

Afghan 'allies' kill 3 more soldiers from U.S.-led coalition | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Afghan 'allies' kill 3 more soldiers from U.S.-led coalition

Jon Stephenson - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 26, 2012 06:31 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Three soldiers from the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan — two of them British and the nationality of the third unknown — were killed Monday, apparently by members of the Afghan security forces in two separate incidents, the latest in a series of "green on blue" shootings.

The two British soldiers were shot dead by an Afghan soldier at a coalition base in Lashkar Gah, the capital of Helmand province in Afghanistan's south. The third soldier was killed in eastern Afghanistan, the International Security Assistance Force, the U.S.-led coalition's formal name, said in a statement.

Details of the incident in Helmand were sketchy, but a spokesman for Helmand's governor told McClatchy the attack happened at a gate to the headquarters of the coalition's provincial reconstruction team in Lashkar Gah as Afghan army vehicles were waiting to enter.

"The shooter had come to the base with other (Afghan) soldiers," spokesman Daud Ahmadi said. "He entered through the gate used by local workers at the base and then opened fire."

SIGN UP

Ahmadi said coalition soldiers returned fire, killing the Afghan soldier.

ISAF said in a statement that two of its soldiers had been killed in southern Afghanistan but declined to release their nationalities. However, Britain's Defense Secretary Philip Hammond confirmed that the soldiers were British.

A joint Afghan-ISAF team is investigating the incident.

The Taliban through a statement on its website claimed responsibility for the killings. Spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi said a Taliban infiltrator who'd joined the Afghan army some time ago had killed "two invading forces."

ISAF's statement on the eastern Afghanistan incident said that the soldier killed there was shot by "an alleged member of the Afghan local police." The statement said the incident happened as an ISAF security force approached a police checkpoint, but did not provide a precise location and offered no details on the nationality of the soldier.

The death of the British soldiers at Helmand and the killing of the ISAF soldier in eastern Afghanistan will renew questions about the reliability of Afghan forces, who will take over responsibility for Afghanistan's security when coalition combat troops leave by the end of 2014.

Nearly 80 American soldiers have been killed by their Afghan counterparts since 2007. Most of those incidents have happened since 2009.

Meanwhile, three ISAF soldiers and an Afghan policeman were wounded in a suicide attack in Uruzgan province, local officials said.

The attack, by a bomber on a motorbike, took place around midday in the Chora district, said Hamdard, a spokesman for Uruzgan's governor, who like many Afghans has only one name.

The nationality of the wounded soldiers was not immediately known, Hamdard said, although Australian soldiers are based in the area.

ISAF spokesman Colonel Gary Kolb declined to confirm for McClatchy that ISAF soldiers had been wounded, but he confirmed that the attacker had been killed in the explosion.

(Stephenson is a McClatchy special correspondent. Special correspondent Ali Safi contributed to this article.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Violence suggests 'Afghans hate us, and we don't trust them'

2 more U.S. soldiers killed by Afghan partners

Report on shooting spree finds deep mistrust between U.S., Afghan forces

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Did CIA Director Gina Haspel run a black site at Guantánamo?

January 08, 2019 09:55 AM

How Donald Trump is changing the Democratic Party

January 08, 2019 09:33 AM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Racist? Immoral? The shutdown fight becomes a rhetorical war

January 07, 2019 05:21 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story