McClatchy DC Logo

Military struggles to regulate information on Afghanistan suspect | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Military struggles to regulate information on Afghanistan suspect

Hal Bernton - Seattle Times

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 19, 2012 02:10 PM

For nearly a week, the military kept a lid of secrecy over the Army soldier from Joint Base Lewis-McChord suspected of killing 16 Afghan villagers.

At the base south of Tacoma, officials cautioned Army families in his unit to stay quiet and admonished the press to respect their privacy.

At the Pentagon, senior officials leaked out selected details of the soldier’s background even as they removed links to public-affairs articles that detailed some of his experiences in Iraq and his involvement in a training exercise in Afghanistan.

But as the week wore on, the Defense Department began to lose control of the flow of information about the suspect, and the portrait that emerged was of a soldier who earlier had performed with honor on the battlefield, yet struggled on the homefront.Staff Sgt. Robert Bales allegedly left his small base in Kandahar province a week ago Sunday and, in the predawn hours, murdered 16 people in two villages.

SIGN UP

Defense Department officials and military commanders have described the shooter’s actions as an aberration, in stark contrast to the conduct of the vast majority of U.S. troops in Afghanistan.

“This deeply appalling incident in no way represents the values of coalition troops or the abiding respect we feel for the Afghan people,” Gen. John Allen, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, said in a written statement. “Nor does it impugn or diminish the spirit of cooperation and partnership we have worked so hard to foster with the Afghan National Security Forces.”

Allen’s comments echo remarks made by other U.S. officials after photos became public of earlier war crimes involving five Lewis-McChord soldiers charged in the killings of three unarmed civilians in January, February and May of 2010. Four of the five were eventually convicted.

But so far, the case against Bales is unfolding in markedly different fashion than that earlier case, in which the Army was able to keep control of the information flow for a much longer period.

While Bales was able to contact a civilian attorney within days after his detention in Afghanistan, the five soldiers in the 2010 case were held for most of May that year for questioning at Kandahar Air Field.

Only in June, as they were charged, did the Army release their names, and only in August – months after the killings occurred – did civilian attorneys begin speaking to the media.

“In these cases, we have seen again and again, the Defense Department had moved to isolate and vilify the people accused of crimes,” said Daniel Conway, a civilian military attorney who represented one of the five charged in the 2010 killings. “It’s important for the (defense) attorneys to get out front, and change the dynamic.”

As the prosecution of the 2010 war crimes unfolded, the soldiers’ family members made sympathetic statements. But officers in the soldiers’ brigade did not make public statements. Press reports brought out repugnant details of their conduct – that the soldiers had plotted to make murder look like legitimate combat deaths, took body parts as trophies and posed for photos next to corpses in crimes committed over a five-month period.

Bales is alleged to have murdered all his victims in a single unauthorized foray outside his base.

Read more at thenewstribune.com

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

New USS Cole case judge quitting military to join immigration court

January 07, 2019 12:20 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story