McClatchy DC Logo

Pentagon officials: 'No smoking gun' in Afghan rampage | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Pentagon officials: 'No smoking gun' in Afghan rampage

Nancy A. Youssef and Matthew Schofield - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 14, 2012 07:21 PM

WASHINGTON — As the Army staff sergeant suspected of killing 16 civilians was flown out of Afghanistan, two military officials told McClatchy on Wednesday that investigators combing his medical records had found "no smoking gun" to explain the rampage.

The officials said that the suspect — a 38-year-old father who survived three tours in Iraq before deploying to Afghanistan in December — had no evidence of a serious traumatic brain injury or of post-traumatic stress, despite widespread speculation that those conditions were factors in the killing spree.

The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing, called the suspect's 10-year Army career "unremarkable" and said he hadn't had reports of discipline problems while in Afghanistan.

The lack of a clear cause and effect had Pentagon officials admitting they're befuddled by what caused the attack. The suspect was apprehended as he returned to the base. He acknowledged the killings, then asked for an attorney within minutes of being captured and isn't cooperating with the investigation, officials said.

SIGN UP

The sergeant is suspected of having left his outpost in Kandahar province about 1 a.m. Sunday, walked a mile, entered three homes and fired upon unarmed villagers, killing 16 including nine children, and wounding several others, some critically, according to Afghan officials. American officials haven't confirmed the number of casualties.

Military investigators arrived at the crime scenes hours after the shooting and collected shell casings and other evidence. But many of the victims already had been buried in accordance with Islamic customs, the officials said.

Investigators are pursuing a variety of explanations for the killings. Alcohol was found at his small outpost in Kandahar's Panjway district, but officials haven't determined whether alcohol or drugs contributed to the attack.

They are also probing whether an email that the sergeant reportedly received from his wife about their failing marriage could have prompted the incident.

Navy Capt. John Kirby, a Pentagon spokesman, said the suspect was flown to an undisclosed U.S. military facility in another country because there was no long-term facility to hold him in Afghanistan. It wasn't clear how the news would be greeted by Afghans, many of whom have called for him to be tried in Afghanistan. Charging the suspect outside of Afghanistan also could mean that not all Afghan witnesses will appear at his trial.

Media reports have focused on the fact that this was the suspect's fourth deployment to a war zone, and that he had been in a non-combat-related vehicle accident in Iraq in 2010, which left him with a mild case of traumatic brain injury.

Dr. Elspeth Cameron Ritchie, formerly a behavioral health director in the surgeon general's office, didn't know the intimate details of the case but speculated that the suspect's actions were inconsistent with post-traumatic stress disorder or traumatic brain injury.

"His reported behavior was more in line with a psychotic episode," Ritchie said.

Military statistics show that about 92,000 troops have served at least four tours in Iraq or Afghanistan, and tens of thousands have served more. In addition, almost 70,000 troops have served with PTSD and almost 180,000 have suffered a traumatic brain injury.

Twenty-seven percent of troops screened positive for mental health problems following their third deployment, according to the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, an advocacy group.

The suspect is known to have undergone standard psychological testing after each tour. In addition, he underwent several medical evaluations after the 2010 accident in Iraq.

Matt Gallagher, a senior fellow at the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, who served 15 months in Iraq, said that the line between experience and burnout from multiple tours is difficult to draw. Many veterans of multiple tours blur the distinction between combat and civilian life, and experts say the stress can be enormous — especially in wars in which creating goodwill among the population is seen as fundamental to success, meaning every interaction with locals has strategic importance.

"But we don't know what happened here, and far and away most people serve honorably and go home," he said.

Until he is charged, the military is not expected to release the suspect's name, a process that in complicated cases can take weeks. He was a sniper in the 3rd Infantry Regiment of the 3rd Stryker Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, based at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington state.

Pentagon officials have suggested he will be charged with premeditated murder, which could carry the death penalty.

The suspect's family is in military custody, Army officials said.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Insurgents attack Afghan delegation near massacre site

Lewis-McChord soldiers concerned about Afghan massacre fallout

U.S. soldier to be charged in Afghanistan massacre

For more coverage visit McClatchy's World page.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Insurgents attack Afghan delegation near massacre site

March 13, 2012 10:43 AM

world

Lewis-McChord soldiers concerned about Afghan massacre fallout

March 13, 2012 06:14 AM

world

U.S. soldier to be charged in Afghanistan massacre

March 12, 2012 06:32 PM

world

After a decade, Afghan forces don't trust Americans

March 08, 2012 04:43 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

New USS Cole case judge quitting military to join immigration court

January 07, 2019 12:20 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story