McClatchy DC Logo

Explosion kills 6 British troops in Afghanistan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Explosion kills 6 British troops in Afghanistan

Jon Stephenson - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 07, 2012 04:27 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Six British soldiers were believed to be killed when an explosion struck their armored vehicle, marking the biggest loss of life for British forces in Afghanistan in years, officials in London said Wednesday.

The explosion a day earlier in the southern province of Helmand figured to renew calls for an earlier withdrawal from Afghanistan for international forces, which have faced increasing violence as they try to hand security responsibilities to Afghan forces before the end of 2014.

British Prime Minister David Cameron called it a "desperately sad day for our country," which has now lost 404 soldiers in the Afghan war, the highest death toll for a coalition country after the United States, which has lost 1,909 service members, according to the website icasualties.org.

The British defense ministry said in a statement that the soldiers were carrying out a patrol and that they were missing and presumed dead, indicating that coalition forces hadn't yet been able to retrieve the bodies. The BBC reported that initial assessments of the explosion said it had been carried out by the Taliban.

SIGN UP

It was the deadliest incident involving British troops since 2006, when a plane crash killed 14 service members during an operation in southern Afghanistan.

Separately, in the neighboring province of Kandahar, a suicide bomber riding a motorbike set off his explosives Wednesday at a crowded marketplace, killing four civilians including two children, local officials said.

The mid-morning attack at Spin Boldak, on Afghanistan's border with Pakistan, also wounded eight people including a border policeman, said Javel Faisal, a spokesman for the Kandahar provincial government.

"Most of the victims were passengers travelling between Afghanistan and Pakistan," said Faisal. "There were no foreign soldiers nearby." He said the wounded were rushed to a hospital in Spin Boldak.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the blast, which bore the hallmarks of a Taliban attack. Kandahar province is the birthplace of the Taliban movement and has long been one of the most restive areas of Afghanistan.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai described the incident as "a terrorist attack" carried out by the enemies of Afghanistan, and said it was "an act against both Islam and humanity."

Marine Gen. John R. Allen, commander of the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan, said in a statement that "the blatant murdering of Afghan civilians" must stop.

"The Taliban leadership needs to hold their own members accountable for their actions against the innocent," Allen said.

(Stephenson is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

2 Afghans killed in bombing at base where U.S. soldiers burned Quran

5 U.S. soldiers responsible in Afghan Quran burnings

2 more U.S. soldiers killed by Afghan partners

For more coverage visit McClatchy's Afghanistan and Pakistan page.

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

New USS Cole case judge quitting military to join immigration court

January 07, 2019 12:20 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story