McClatchy DC Logo

Gen. Fraser defends $744,000 Guantanamo soccer field | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Gen. Fraser defends $744,000 Guantanamo soccer field

Carol Rosenberg - The Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 07, 2012 06:54 AM

The Air Force general in charge of Pentagon operations in Latin America and the Caribbean confirmed his upcoming retirement from military service in testimony at Congress Tuesday that included a defense of the controversial $744,000 soccer field at a Guantánamo prison camp as part of cost-saving measures.

Air Force Gen. Douglas Fraser has been Southcom commander since June 2009.

He did not give an end date for his time in Miami during his testimony on the activities of the Southern Command in Doral, but said it was likely his last time testifying before the House Armed Service Committee

“We thank you for your service to your country and wish you all the best in your retirement,” replied Rep. Howard “Buck” McKeon, the Republican committee chairman from California.

SIGN UP

“Congratulations on your retirement,” Rep. Allen West, R-Fla., added later, according to a transcript of the hearing. “Hopefully, you’ll stay down in South Florida where we have plenty of golf courses for you to enjoy.”

President Barack Obama has already chosen Marine Lt. Gen. John F. Kelly to replace Fraser. The Senate has yet to hold a hearing on the nomination of Kelly, an Iraq war veteran.

Fraser’s status had been uncertain because the White House had announced no onward assignment for the 37-year career Air Force officer.

Some Southcom commanders have gone on to serve as NATO chief in Europe, such as Navy Adm. James Stavridis and Army Gen. John “Bantz” Craddock before Fraser. Others have retired from service in Miami, such as Marine Gen. Charles Wilhelm and Army Gen. Tom Hill.

During his testimony, Frasier defended the Pentagon’s decision to spend $744,000 on a new soccer field for cooperative captives at the U.S. Navy base at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, a quality-of-life improvement that has drawn protest from some Republican members of Congress.

At the hearing Tuesday, Rep. Michael Conaway, R-Texas, an accountant from Odessa, called the investment “troubling, indeed head scratching.”

The general replied that the detention center had been downsizing to consolidate the prison camps while cutting contact between captives and captors as well as meeting U.S. obligations under the Geneva Conventions.

The new recreation yard lets captives move between their cellblocks and the field without escort — no shackling, which is labor intensive — and has built-in surveillance systems, from watchtowers to cameras.

“It provides a very secure environment for our guards, because it reduces their interaction, but provides an outlet, if you will, for the detainees,” the general told Conaway. “I think that investment in that field was worth the money.”

Fraser said the prison camps operation had reduced its troop force by 150 to 200 guards to save “conservatively, $3 million to $4 million” in prison camp operations. Southcom reported last year’s budget at $138.8 million.

The prison camps’ public affairs team did not immediately respond to questions about when the 200 guards were cut from the detention center force and how that translated into $3 million to $4 million savings. The detention center last reported its staff at 1,850 troops, contractors and agents and its detainee population at 171 captives confined to seven facilities. Five of the 171 captives are convicted war criminals

To read more, visit www.miamiherald.com.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story