McClatchy DC Logo

Yemen's weakened military suffers setback against Islamist militants | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Yemen's weakened military suffers setback against Islamist militants

Adam Baron - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 05, 2012 05:20 PM

SANAA, Yemen — As the death toll from fighting between Yemeni troops and al Qaida-linked militants in southern Abyan province crossed 100, the new Yemeni president, Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, vowed Monday to redouble efforts to combat the growing insurgency.

Military leaders met Monday in Sanaa, the capital, a day after the militants mounted a two-front assault on an army base outside the provincial capital of Zinjibar, seizing heavy artillery and using government weapons to target Yemeni forces.

"Yemen is engaged in fighting against al Qaida terrorist elements and all extremist armed groups," Hadi said in a phone call with the European Union foreign affairs head, Catherine Ashton, according to state media.

Hadi, who took office last month after protests forced the resignation of longtime President Ali Abdullah Saleh, a U.S. ally on counterterrorism, declared restoring order and combating the southern-based militants a top priority. Despite ostensible backing from the bulk of Yemen's political, military and tribal leaders, Hadi's efforts are hampered by an army that's been weakened by anti-Saleh defections and distracted by clashes in the capital and elsewhere.

SIGN UP

The assault in Zinjibar on Sunday marked the deadliest day in a nearly yearlong battle between government forces and the fighters in Abyan. More than 100 soldiers and 32 militants were killed in the fighting, while dozens of Yemeni troops were taken captive and reportedly paraded through the militant-held town of Ja'ar on Monday.

Since slipping out of government control last spring during the uprising against Saleh, the towns of Ja'ar and Zinjibar have been under the control of militants calling themselves Ansar al-Sharia, or the supporters of Islamic law. Believed to be linked to the Yemen-based al Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, or AQAP, they've been described by displaced civilians as made up of a mix of Yemeni fighters and foreign militants.

The U.S. government has described AQAP as among the most threatening branches of the global terrorist organization and has backed Hadi, casting him as a stabilizing force.

"We will continue to provide security and counterterrorism support to counter the immediate threats of violent extremism, as well as to deliver humanitarian, economic and technical support," State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said in Washington.

The United States provided tens of millions of dollars annually in aid to Saleh's government, which was intended to help it battle Islamist militants. U.S. officials have signaled that Washington will continue to send aid to Yemen during the post-Saleh transitional period, during which Hadi's government is expected to make democratic reforms.

The continuing violence has created an increasingly dire humanitarian crisis, forcing tens of thousands of civilians from their homes.

Tensions between pro-Saleh troops and those under the command of dissident Gen. Ali Mohsen remain high, with members of the Central Security Forces, a unit headed by the former president's nephew, briefly clashing with forces loyal to the powerful defector last week in the capital.

And many arms of the military — most notably the Yemeni air force — continue to be wracked by mutinies targeting leaders whom demonstrators see as corrupt holdovers from the previous regime.

Analysts say that the government's battle in Abyan is likely to be difficult because of the military's fractiousness and the Islamists' resilience, portending a long fight.

"Hadi has decided take the battle to al Qaida a bit prematurely," said Gregory Johnsen, a Yemen analyst at Princeton University. "Yemen can't just go into Abyan and take back the area with a few troops. It's going to take a unified approach from the military."

(Baron is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

After year of protests, Yemen election is cause for celebration

Yemenis fear there'll be no change with new president

Southern Yemen's election boycott hints at trouble ahead

For more coverage visit McClatchy's Middle East page.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story