McClatchy DC Logo

Navy appoints next commander of Guantánamo prison camps | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Navy appoints next commander of Guantánamo prison camps

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 02, 2012 06:43 PM

The Navy has chosen a Key West-based admiral, a helicopter pilot who ran Hurricane Katrina air relief operations, to take over as the next commander of the detention center at Guantánamo.

Navy Rear Adm. John W. Smith Jr., 54, said in an interview Friday that he has visited the base once, on a routine tour with other one-star officers last year. It was before he learned Guantánamo was the next assignment of his 30-year Navy career.

Still, the detention center’s motto slipped easily off his tongue as he pledged to ensure “the safe, humane, legal and transparent care of those detainees.”

Smith becomes the 12th commander of Joint Task Force-Guantánamo, as the Pentagon calls its decade-old prison camps complex of 171 captives and a staff of 1,850 troops and civilian contractors. It’s an interrogation and detention operation. Smith has intelligence-gathering experience but no background in detention.

SIGN UP

A native of Queens, N.Y., who grew up in Brooklyn, Smith said he and his wife will probably move to Guantánamo this summer.

They won’t have far to go.

He’s currently working at Truman Annex in Key West, the U.S. city closest to Cuba, as deputy director of the U.S. military’s Joint InterAgency Task Force-South — the monitoring and analysis enterprise that tries to track and intercept smugglers bound for the United States by ship and aircraft.

It’s a collaborative operation of forces from the military, intelligence and Defense contracting agencies, like the Guantánamo post. But far from the spotlight.

The prison camps stirred criticism this week by unveiling a $744,000 recreation yard — featuring a soccer field ringed with fences, guard towers and barbed wire. Pentagon prosecutors are now preparing the death penalty trial of confessed al Qaida mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed and four alleged co-conspirators accused of the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks. Nearly 3,000 people were killed in the attacks that struck the Pentagon and toppled the World Trade Center in his native New York, which Smith said would have no influence on how he manages the mission.

“The job performance has nothing to do with where I was born and what happened in the city,” the admiral said. “Whether it happened in New York or Texas, I was put in that leadership position. So that’s my job.”

Smith succeeds Rear Adm. David B. Woods, who has been assigned to a post in San Diego, for the second time in their careers. In September 2008, Smith followed Woods in Baghdad as commander of a military unit that worked on jamming enemy roadside bombs.

As Smith’s Navy résumé suggests, he’s navigated delicate missions throughout his career.

He was in charge of military air operations after Hurricane Katrina in 2005. And he’s also flown Sea King helicopters off the aircraft carriers USS Saratoga, Kitty Hawk and Carl Vinson, although he’s been mostly in command in recent years.

“I fly a desk,” he said dryly.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/02/2672240/navy-appoints-next-commander-of.html#storylink=cpy

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story