McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. combat in Afghanistan will end next year, Panetta says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

U.S. combat in Afghanistan will end next year, Panetta says

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 01, 2012 07:07 PM

WASHINGTON — The U.S. military plans to change the focus of its Afghanistan mission from combat to training local forces by the end of 2013, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Wednesday, apparently accelerating the timeline for Afghan forces to take over security responsibilities from NATO troops.

Panetta's comments to reporters traveling with him to Brussels — where he was scheduled to attend a meeting of NATO defense chiefs beginning Thursday — marked the first time that a top Pentagon official had stamped an earlier end date on the decade-old U.S. combat mission in Afghanistan. However, U.S. troops will remain in Afghanistan at least through 2014, when all NATO combat forces are scheduled to withdraw from the country.

"Hopefully by the mid- to latter part of 2013, we'll be able to make a transition from a combat role to a training, advise and assist role," Panetta said. He added that this "doesn't mean we're not going to be combat-ready," but rather that the U.S. and other international forces will no longer be in "the formal combat role we're in now."

The announcement appeared to be an effort to assure a war-weary American public — in an election year — that the Obama administration was charting a clear exit from Afghanistan. But it was also about semantics: By calling the U.S. troops deployed in Afghanistan trainers, not combat forces, it suggests that their mission will involve less fighting and the U.S. will suffer fewer casualties.

SIGN UP

Of course, commanders will point out that there's no such thing as a non-combat soldier, and U.S. troops continued to suffer loses in Iraq when the mission there switched from combat to what the Pentagon dubbed an "advise and assist" role.

It wasn't immediately clear whether the announcement would lead to an accelerated withdrawal of U.S. forces. From the 90,000 U.S. troops currently stationed in Afghanistan, the Pentagon plans to draw down to 68,000 by the end of September — far more than most think would be needed to train.

Panetta told reporters that the administration still hadn't determined the number of trainers needed.

The U.S. decision comes one week after French President Nicolas Sarkozy surprised NATO by announcing that France would end its combat mission in 2013, a year ahead of schedule, following the killings of four French soldiers by an Afghan soldier they were training. Panetta told reporters that the U.S. decision wasn't related to France's.

The decision also appeared to contradict findings in the latest classified National Intelligence Estimate on Afghanistan, reported by McClatchy last month, that indicate security gains won since last year's 30,000-strong U.S. troop surge may be unsustainable and that the Taliban leadership still had designs on ruling Afghanistan.

Panetta on Wednesday shrugged off the NIE findings, which the White House and top U.S. commanders also have disputed.

"Without question, there has been significant improvement in the security situation on the ground," Panetta said. "The Taliban has not been able to regain any of the lost territory. They haven't conducted a successful operation to regain territory. We continue to weaken them."

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Intelligence report: Taliban still hope to rule Afghanistan

As U.S. marks war milestone, Taliban may be lying low

Platoon commander among Marines who urinated on corpses

For more coverage visit McClatchy's Afghanistan and Pakistan page.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Jack Ohman’s 2018 cartoons in review

December 27, 2018 07:54 PM

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story