McClatchy DC Logo

Egypt bars U.S. workers from travel, escalating crackdown | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Egypt bars U.S. workers from travel, escalating crackdown

Hannah Allam - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 26, 2012 05:06 PM

CAIRO — Egypt has barred at least 10 American and European civil society workers — including the son of a senior Obama administration official — from leaving the country in a sign that the ruling generals are extending their crackdown on foreign pro-democracy groups.

Sam LaHood, the director of the Egyptian program of the Washington-based International Republican Institute and the son of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, said Thursday that four employees of the institute had been banned from traveling outside Egypt. He learned he was included when he was prevented from leaving via the Cairo airport Saturday.

"It's absolutely an escalation," LaHood said. "It's a de facto detention."

U.S. officials were outraged last month when Egyptian forces raided the Cairo offices of the International Republican Institute and other American and Egyptian civil society organizations in an ongoing campaign to blame the groups for fueling unrest with their "foreign funds." Special forces and prosecutors sealed the offices and carted away computers, cellphones and files. The National Democratic Institute, Freedom House and a German nongovernmental organization were among those raided.

SIGN UP

After some members of Congress threatened to push for an end to Egypt's annual $1.3 billion military aid package, most analysts thought the matter would be resolved quickly through diplomatic channels. Egyptian officials promised that the confiscated equipment would be returned and that the groups were in the pipeline for official registration, which the government has withheld for years.

Instead, it appears that the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces has no plans to scale back what Egyptian and American nonprofit workers have long described as a campaign to depict them as foreign agents, a dangerous label that already has prompted xenophobic attacks. State media and nightly talk shows portrayed such groups as working to undermine Egypt's sovereignty and stability even before the popular uprising that ended the rule of former U.S. ally Hosni Mubarak last year.

This week, Egyptian media reported that up to 40 foreigners would be referred to court next month on charges of "illicit foreign funding." Sam LaHood and other employees of the targeted groups said they were aware of a judicial investigation but had no information on possible charges.

"We've had 17 employees go in for 20 interviews," LaHood said. "The judges are still investigating."

The online news site Politico first reported the travel ban late Wednesday.

Republican Sen. John McCain, the chairman of the International Republican Institute, issued a statement Thursday expressing "alarm and outrage" at what he called the Egyptian government's harassment of American nongovernmental organizations. He said the groups had made every effort to comply with the legal registration process, yet the Egyptian government had failed to fulfill promises to resolve the matter.

"This crisis has taken a new and disturbing turn with reports that the Egyptian government is prohibiting employees of these NGOs, including American citizens, from leaving the country," McCain said.

"I deeply regret that this crisis has escalated to the point that it now endangers the lives of American citizens and could set back the long-standing partnership between the United States and Egypt."

Egyptian government officials couldn't be reached for comment.

The International Republican Institute and the National Democratic Institute, which also is U.S.-based, receive American government funding, and they'd been assisting Egyptian political parties in their campaigns for the recent parliamentary elections, the first since Mubarak resigned last February.

Julie Hughes, the Egypt country director for the National Democratic Institute, said Thursday that she and five co-workers were among those banned from travel. Three of them are Americans, she said; a fourth American is scheduled for interrogation Sunday and also might be barred from leaving.

Hughes said the group suspended its training programs after the raids last month, but it still fielded observers for the last round of the parliamentary elections. Polls for the upper house of Parliament begin soon and the National Democratic Institute has received authorization to continue its observer mission, she said.

Hughes said Egyptian NGO leaders were renewing calls to amend the registration process for civil society groups, whose activities were curtailed and employees scrutinized in the Mubarak era. She said Egyptian groups had tried twice in the past decade to "have the law changed because of too much government control."

"Transitions are hard and, if anything is going to come of this, I hope it's a good dialogue about registration," she said.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Egypt crackdown escalates, with raids on 17 rights groups

Egypt's revolutionaries see little progress a year after revolt

Cable: In Egypt, NGOs face registration quandary

Follow Hannah Allam on Twitter

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Egyptians argue over fate of charred Mubarak party building

January 26, 2012 03:05 PM

world

Where Egypt toppled Mubarak, a modest candidate makes his own run

January 25, 2012 06:36 PM

world

Egypt's revolutionaries see little progress a year after revolt

January 24, 2012 01:47 PM

world

1st Parliament session shows Egypt's new political landscape

January 23, 2012 02:57 PM

world

After a year of Arab upheaval, Islamists are biggest winners

January 19, 2012 05:25 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Jack Ohman’s 2018 cartoons in review

December 27, 2018 07:54 PM

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story