McClatchy DC Logo

Iranian dissident group in Iraq agrees to quit Camp Ashraf | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Iranian dissident group in Iraq agrees to quit Camp Ashraf

Roy Gutman - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2011 06:23 PM

BAGHDAD — The diplomatic standoff over a group of Iranian dissidents in Iraq appeared to be resolved Wednesday when the dissidents agreed to abandon their camp north of Baghdad and move to a former U.S. Army base, where the United Nations will process their applications for refugee status in Europe and elsewhere.

The first 400 of the more than 3,000 members of the People's Mujahedeen of Iran — which Iraq earlier this year had threatened with mass expulsion — are ready "as a goodwill gesture" to transfer with their movable property and vehicles "at the first opportunity" to the former Camp Liberty at Baghdad International Airport, the group's leader, Maryam Rajavi, announced.

Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki said last week that he had agreed to postpone the deportation, which he'd set for Dec. 31, until at least April.

The group is deeply concerned about its safety and fears deportation to Iran, but Rajavi said a key reason for agreeing to leave its camp, known as Camp Ashraf, in Diyala province was the commitment by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Sunday that U.S. Embassy officials would visit "regularly and frequently."

SIGN UP

In addition, under an accord signed that day by Martin Kobler, the U.N. special representative in Iraq, the U.N. will conduct "24/7 monitoring at the camp until the last of the residents leaves Iraq." Kobler's letter, released by the group Wednesday, pledged that no one would be repatriated to Iran against their will but cautioned that resettlement abroad was up to third countries.

The fate of the MEK, as it's known by its Farsi language initials, has become an international cause celebre. The MEK had fought as a mechanized division in alliance with Saddam Hussein during the 1980-88 war with Iran but was stranded by the U.S. invasion that toppled him in 2003.

The U.S. and Iraq officially view MEK as a terrorist group, although several top former U.S. national security figures have taken part in a major, well-funded campaign to have the group removed from the U.S. list of terrorist organizations.

Maliki, under pressure from Iran, has demanded repeatedly that the MEK leave its camp near the Iraq-Iran border. In April, Iraqi troops attacked the camp in a military operation that reduced its size by about one-third and left at least 35 dead.

The MEK said it had come under rocket attack on Sunday and Tuesday, but no injuries were reported.

After MEK members agreed in late August to file individual applications for asylum in third countries, Kobler began an arduous negotiation with the Iraqi government to ensure that there was adequate time for the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees to conduct interviews to determine refugee status.

As many as 900 of the camp residents have papers or travel documents from third countries, and these will be among the very first processed, U.N. officials said. Those who wish to return to Iran will be processed rapidly, Kobler said in his letter.

One unanswered question is the fate of some 100 MEK members against whom Iranian criminal charges are pending, according to Iran's ambassador to Iraq, Hasan Daniaei-Far.

Another is how the transfer to the former U.S. Army base will proceed. Kobler's letter said that Iraq would provide security for the transfer, but he did not stipulate that residents could travel in their own vehicles and bring their movable property with them as Rajavi insisted they would do.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Text of MEK's letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton

Iranian dissidents in Iraq seek refugee status as 'positive step'

U.S. proposal to relocate 3000 dissidents rebuffed

U.S. congressional delegation sets off political IED in Iraq

U.S. lawmakers, Iraq's Maliki clash over killing of Iranians

After April massacre, U.S. seeks to relocate Iranian militants in Iraq

For more coverage visit McClatchy's Iraq page.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story