McClatchy DC Logo

Iran explosions prompt speculation of secret attacks | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Iran explosions prompt speculation of secret attacks

Sheera Frenkel - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 05, 2011 03:15 PM

JERUSALEM — A series of mishaps at Iranian nuclear facilities and weapons sites may be part of a covert organized attack on Iran's nuclear weapons program, according to Western intelligence officials.

An explosion last week outside Iran's third largest city, Isfahan, is thought to be the most recent strike, though details on the intended target are still unclear. A sprawling military base and nuclear facilities are outside Isfahan, and intelligence officials across the Middle East said there was strong evidence that the explosion had done some "significant structural damage."

"We have seen enough evidence to know something has happened, but we are unclear on what at this point," said one Western diplomat whose work includes the region, speaking only on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue. "There are a number of parties interested in sabotaging and weakening the Iranian regime."

The second such incident in as many weeks cast doubt on Iranian claims that these were "accidents" and "coincidences," and it set off speculation of a coordinated attack by Israel, whose officials long have threatened a strike against Iran's nuclear program. Israeli officials denied direct involvement, but the growing number of mysterious or unexplained blasts and deaths has many suspecting an official program of sabotage.

SIGN UP

Israeli newspapers declared last week that Israel's war with Iran already had begun, but that the Jewish state, rather than launch massive airstrikes, had decided on a method of covert action in cooperation with other groups. Statements by current and former Israeli officials were being parsed for clues but did little to clarify the issue.

"There aren't many coincidences, and when there are so many events there is probably some sort of guiding hand, though perhaps it's the hand of God," said Israel's former head of internal security, Maj. Gen. Giora Eiland.

Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak said: "We are not happy to see the Iranians move ahead on this (program), so any delay, be it divine intervention or otherwise, is welcome."

Barak said earlier this week that Israel, "has no intention, at the moment, of taking action, but Israel is far from being paralyzed by fear." He added, "It must act calmly and quietly. We don't need big wars."

Still, some say it's unlikely that Israel could — or would — act alone. Opposition groups in Iran have long been suspected of strikes to weaken the regime, while Israeli officials have said they'd act with U.S. support.

The sites in Iran that have been damaged would appear to be significant targets.

The nuclear facilities in Isfahan are involved in converting yellowcake into uranium hexafluoride gas, a key step in producing enriched uranium. Two weeks ago, an explosion at a missile base west of Tehran killed more than 20 members of Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps, including Cmdr. Hassan Moghaddam, described as the architect of Iran's missile program.

These, experts note, are only the most recent cases; a half-dozen other mysterious explosions and accidental deaths have been reported over the last two years. They include an October 2010 explosion at a military base housing Shahab-3 missiles near the city of Khorramabad and the July 2011 assassination of nuclear scientist Dariush Rezaei in Tehran.

Stuxnet, a computer virus that wreaked havoc on the centrifuges in Iran's uranium enrichment facilities, has rewritten the playbook for international cyberterrorism.

Experts say the incidents have set back Iran's nuclear ambitions while allowing the country's foes to deny involvement.

"On the one hand, you have Iran's nuclear weapons program slowed down. On the other hand, you don't have to take responsibility for doing anything, and Iran will continue to deny them and call them accidents," said one Western intelligence official, who wasn't authorized to speak publicly on the issue.

He added that the method "served both parties for the time being" but that it could "only continue for so long."

Tensions between Iran and the West are rising amid signs that Iranian hard-liners may have gained prominence. Last month, a mob attacked and ransacked the British Embassy in Tehran in protest of new British sanctions, prompting Britain to recall its diplomatic staff.

Over the weekend, Iranian officials claimed that their army had shot down an unmanned U.S. spy plane that crashed in eastern Iran, and had seized its wreckage. NATO officials in Afghanistan said the plane in question could have been a U.S. drone that had been flying over western Afghanistan but was lost.

Last week, the European Union added 180 Iranian officials and companies to a blacklist and started work on sanctions on the country's oil exports, banks, transport sector and the Revolutionary Guard Corps. The U.S. Senate unanimously approved sanctions on Iran's central bank, a move intended to shrink Iran's oil exports and deprive it of cash that might be used in nuclear or missile programs.

A former Israeli director of military intelligence, Maj. Gen. Amos Yadlin, said last month that Iran was in possession of enough nuclear material to assemble four to five bombs within the next 18 months.

(Frenkel is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Iran claims it shot down U.S. drone

Britain evacuates its diplomats from Iran; Norway shuts embassy

Israelis anxious over expected report on Iran nuclear program

For more news visit McClatchy's Iran page.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story