McClatchy DC Logo

Violence on the rise in Baghdad as U.S. drawdown continues | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Violence on the rise in Baghdad as U.S. drawdown continues

Sahar Issa - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

November 28, 2011 02:45 PM

BAGHDAD — Two bombs and a rocket attack struck the Iraqi capital on Monday, just weeks before the final pullout of American forces from the country.

The explosions brought to 100 the number of people killed in the capital so far in November, up from 62 in October.

The deadliest blast — a car bomb driven by a suicide bomber — killed at least 11 people and wounded 26 others at the entrance to al Hoot prison in north Baghdad, security officials said.

Hours later, a magnetic bomb attached to a civilian car exploded near to the Baghdad International Fair Ground in central Baghdad, killing two civilians and wounding four.

SIGN UP

A rocket slammed into the fortified Green Zone that houses the U.S. Embassy and the Iraqi government's offices just after 4 p.m. The rocket struck in a parking lot near the city's convention center, which houses the Iraqi parliament. No casualties were reported.

The attacks fed concerns that violence will rise after U.S. forces are withdrawn. The deadline for all American military troops to be out of Iraq is Dec. 31, though it's thought likely that the American withdrawal will be completed before then. Fewer than 20,000 American forces remain in Iraq.

Iraqis offered a variety of explanations for the attacks.

Ahmed Abbawi, a baker in Baghdad's Karrada district, blamed former members of the outlawed Baath party of Saddam Hussein and predicted they would make an effort to take control of Iraq after the U.S. withdrawal is complete.

"It is their best chance," he said. "The government is not really in control. I can't say for sure that the (Iraqi security) forces will be able to manage the situation. The situation is frightening."

Violence has tapered off since the height of sectarian fighting in 2006 and 2007, but it is still a near-daily occurrence.

Anees Majid, a college student, fears that Iran will be the biggest challenge after the American military is finally gone.

"With more than 100,000 soldiers in Iraq, America was not able to stop Iran from taking over Iraq," Majid said. "It is true that Iran is a neighbor and that we respect it, but this is our country and it is we who should be running it, not Iran. I am afraid that there might be more killing in order to control the Iraqi people, and we would be back to square one."

Despite the violence, Iraqi security officials say there is no reason to be concerned.

"I am positive that internal security is under control. Our forces have had many years experience now," said Adnan al Asadi, a deputy interior minister. Still, he admitted that many members of the security forces have links to armed groups, both Sunni and Shiite.

(Issa is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

As U.S. troops leave Iraq, what is the legacy of eight years of war?

Bombings in Baghdad claim at least 15 lives as U.S. drawdown continues

President Obama on ending war in Iraq: "This holiday season will be a season of homecomings"

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story