McClatchy DC Logo

Yemen presidential vote set for Feb. 21; Saleh returns home | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Yemen presidential vote set for Feb. 21; Saleh returns home

Adam Baron - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

November 26, 2011 04:39 PM

SANAA, Yemen — Vice President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi on Saturday set Feb. 21 as the date that Yemenis will go to the polls to select at new president to replace Ali Abdullah Saleh, who agreed last week to step down after 10 months of protests against his rule.

The new elections were part of a Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC)-mediated deal that called for Saleh to transfer power to Hadi in exchange for immunity from prosecution, bringing to an end his 33-year rule.

The deal, however, was controversial among many Saleh opponents, who objected to the immunity provisions, and so was Hadi's decree about presidential elections. Activists in Sanaa's Change Square, the sprawling anti-government sit-in that has been the epicenter of months of anti-government protests, said that the announcement would have no effect on ongoing demonstrations.

"Any election will be meaningless unless the army and power are no longer in the hands of the Saleh's family and the old regime," said Hamza al Kamaly, a medical student turned anti-government activist. "Our revolution is only beginning."

SIGN UP

Under the GCC deal, Saleh retains the title of president until his successor is elected. His family holds key positions in the Yemeni military.

In a reminder that Saleh is likely to remain influential, the president returned to Sanaa Saturday night from Saudi Arabia, where the deal was signed. His presence back in Yemen defied predictions that he would travel to the United States for additional medical treatment for wounds he suffered in an assassination attempt in June.

Hadi has yet to name a new prime minister who is to form a unity government that includes members of opposition parties; that appointment may come as soon as Sunday.

A quick return to stability is far from certain, however. The nation's military remains divided between troops under the command of Brig. Gen. Ali Mohsen, who dropped support for Saleh in March, and loyal troops, many of whom serve in unites under the command of Saleh's powerful relatives. Many neighborhoods in the north of the capital are still under the control of dissident troops and anti-government tribesmen, and sporadic fighting between the two sides has continued.

The strain of military defections and months of unrest has left the government's hold of much of the country severely weakened. Much of the nation's far north remains outside of government control, and government forces have been engaged in a fierce battle with Islamic militants in the southern province of Abyan for months.

Yemen's last presidential elections were held in 2006, and most observers estimate that it will take considerable effort to prepare for the upcoming ones. As the nation continues teetering towards uncertainty, analysts say, holding elections in such a short period of time will present a considerable challenge to an already overextended government.

"It's hard to imagine free and fair elections being held in less than three months," said Gregory Johnsen, a Princeton-based Yemen analyst. "Regardless of what the GCC deal says, an early February election date seems incredibly optimistic and overly ambitious."

(Baron is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

A defiant Saleh agrees to step down as Yemen's president

Healthier-looking Saleh tells Yemen he'll be back soon

Already poor, Yemen taking an economic beating from unrest

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

New Muslim congresswoman to be sworn in with Thomas Jefferson’s centuries-old Quran

January 03, 2019 11:25 AM

As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

January 03, 2019 05:21 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM

Here’s what Initiative 940 means for police officers’ use of deadly force

October 27, 2018 08:00 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story