McClatchy DC Logo

Afghan violence falling sharply, NATO says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Afghan violence falling sharply, NATO says

Shashank Bengali - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

October 15, 2011 02:08 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Insurgent attacks in Afghanistan from July through September fell by 26 percent from the previous summer, a senior NATO official said Saturday, reasserting the U.S.-led coalition's claims that violence is decreasing a decade into the Afghan war.

For five straight months ending in September, the number of attacks by insurgents targeting the Afghan government and coalition forces declined from the previous year, the first time that's happened since at least 2008, said the official, who briefed reporters on condition of anonymity. However, overall attacks remained markedly higher than in 2009, before the U.S. troop surge.

"What you're seeing is the effect of two hard years of fighting," the official said, referring to the deployment of 30,000 additional U.S. soldiers — primarily in the Taliban's traditional southern heartland — whose presence alongside a growing number of Afghan forces disrupted insurgent networks, hideouts and weapons caches.

"We started to set the conditions, we started to put the pressure and now we're seeing this decrease. So I think this is pretty dramatic."

SIGN UP

The official acknowledged that overall violence nationwide remains high, but the statistics by the International Security Assistance Force, or ISAF, served as something of a rebuttal to a United Nations report released last month that found that the average number of "security incidents" per month had risen by 39 percent over the previous year.

The U.N. report also found that civilian casualties had risen 5 percent in June, July and August from the same months last year, after a 15 percent hike for the first six months of the year.

The U.N. data includes some categories of attacks that coalition forces don't count. Asked to explain the discrepancy with U.N. figures, the NATO official said, "I don't know how they collect their data. I don't compare mine to theirs."

While the coalition's optimism was certain to be greeted skeptically by war-weary Afghans, NATO said the decline in "enemy-initiated attacks" — including direct and indirect fire, roadside bombs and mine explosions — was mainly the result of U.S.-led forces stepping up operations in southern Afghanistan beginning in the spring of 2010, breaking through belts of roadside bombs laid by insurgents.

By late 2010 coalition and Afghan forces had established control over the area and were collecting large quantities of weapons and explosives — more than twice as many this past August as they collected last August. NATO observed a slight decrease in violence in May that accelerated through the summer, the time of year when fighting is heaviest.

"When they (insurgents) finally made their way back to these areas that were former safe havens, what they found is that you had coalition and Afghan forces there," the official said. "You had locals that frankly in some cases did not want them there. As they would root around they'd find their caches had been discovered, so now they got to reconstitute...that equipment."

U.S. commanders expected the insurgency to adapt by carrying out more spectacular attacks such as assassinations and bombings inside the capital, Kabul. More than 130 prominent Afghans — ranging from tribal elders to former President Burhanuddin Rabbani, killed in his Kabul home last month — have been assassinated this year, a 60 percent spike from 2010, according to ISAF figures.

But such high-profile attacks represent just 1 percent of the overall violence, the NATO official said. Of 15 high-profile incidents in Kabul this year, he said that 11, including Rabbani's assassination, were "planned, facilitated and directed" by insurgents based over the border in Pakistan.

With 10,000 mostly non-combat U.S. troops withdrawing by year's end, and an additional 23,000 departing by next September, the official said that the gaps would be filled by a larger and increasingly capable Afghan army. But he acknowledged that the security gains were tenuous.

"This is real progress but I still classify it as fragile," he said. "If we don't continue to put pressure, then it could be reversible. And durability is the big question."

Also Saturday, five insurgents in an explosives-laden SUV attacked the entrance of a U.S. base in Panjshir province's Rukha district, northeast of Kabul, killing two civilians and wounding two Afghan guards. No Americans were reported harmed. Afghan police killed all five attackers, said Khalil Ull-Rahmman, chief of police in Rukha.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement on its website. The base, in normally placid Panjshir, houses a provincial reconstruction team — military officers and civilians who work on a variety of political and economic development projects.

(Special correspondent Habib Zohori contributed to this report.)

ON THE WEB

ISAF figures on 'enemy initiated attacks'

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

U.N. reports big increase in Afghan violence this year

Obama warns Pakistan over support for Afghan insurgents

As U.S. marks war milestone, Taliban may be laying low

U.N.'s most recent report on violence in Afghanistan

For more international news visit McClatchy's World page.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story