McClatchy DC Logo

Gadhafi fleeing across desert toward Niger, rebels say | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Gadhafi fleeing across desert toward Niger, rebels say

Roy Gutman - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 01, 2011 06:26 PM

BENGHAZI, Libya — Ousted Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi is fleeing south across the Sahara Desert, bound perhaps for the border with Niger, the military spokesman for the rebel National Transitional Council told McClatchy on Thursday.

Col. Ahmed Omar Bani said Gadhafi had escaped from the town of Bani Walid, southeast of Tripoli, on Thursday and had managed to make it to Sabha, some 400 miles south of Tripoli.

But Bani predicted that Gadhafi wouldn't remain long in the sprawling garrison town and instead would flee another 350 miles across the desert into land-locked Niger, one of the poorest countries in the world, now under military rule.

Bani's account of Gadhafi's flight came as the fugitive former dictator issued a defiant call to his supporters to "continue the fight from city to city, valley to valley, mountain to mountain" and predicted that "It is going to be a long battle.

SIGN UP

"The Libyan people cannot kneel, cannot surrender; we are not women," he said in an audio recording broadcast on al Rai, a Syrian television channel.

It wasn't clear whether the aim of this latest broadcast was to motivate loyalists in his hometown of Sirte, as well as Bani Walid and Sabha, or to provide cover while he escaped the country he ruled for 42 years. It followed contradictory signals about his ultimate intentions by two of his sons who are still in Libya.

Libya's new transitional leaders on Thursday delayed for at least a week the Saturday deadline for Gadhafi loyalists in Sirte to surrender or face military assault. The same ultimatum has been issued to Gadhafi's supporters in Bani Walid and Sabha. The three cities are thought to be the last significant pro-Gadhafi outposts in Libya.

National Transitional Council officials said they extended the deadline because there had been signs of progress in their talks with tribal elders in Sirte, a city of about 100,000 on Libya's Mediterranean coast. "People in Sirte say they are with the revolution," Bani said, "but they fear" that Gadhafi loyalists "will kill all of us" if the council attempts to enter the city by force.

"Maybe we will have another solution this week that will avoid bloodshed for Libyans," he said.

Bani didn't reveal how rebel leaders were tracking Gadhafi's movements. He said rebel forces had positions on several sides of Bani Walid and supporters in the other towns.

Bani said rebel leaders hoped that if Gadhafi fled the country or fell into rebel hands, loyalist resistance would collapse in Sirte and the other two cities.

Gadhafi's two sons still in Libya had issued conflicting signals Wednesday about his intentions. Saadi, 38, told a top military aide in the transitional regime that his father had authorized him to negotiate an end to the fighting if Saadi could have a guarantee of his own safety. Saif al Islam, 49, who'd been the heir apparent, pledged a war of attrition until Libya was cleansed from "gangs and traitors." Council officials turned down Saadi's offer, saying Saadi would have to face trial in a duly constituted court.

Thursday was the 42nd anniversary of the military coup that overthrew King Idris and brought Gadhafi to power, but the event went unmarked in Benghazi, Libya's second largest city and the starting point for the movement that overthrew Gadhafi.

It was also the day that leaders of 60 countries, including Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, met with Mustafa Abdel-Jalil, the council's chairman, in Paris and committed their countries to supporting Libya's reconstruction and releasing tens of billions of dollars in frozen assets.

British Prime Minister David Cameron pledged that NATO would continue its mission, mandated in a U.N. Security Council resolution, to protect the Libyan population. The European Union announced that it had lifted sanctions on major state oil firms and port authorities effective Friday.

Meanwhile, Amnesty International issued a new report on a possible war crime in the town of Khums, 75 miles east of Tripoli, where then-government forces held 29 suspected rebels in two cramped cargo containers. In temperatures over 100 degrees, the detainees drank their own sweat and urine when they ran out of water, survivors said.

Ten of 19 detainees survived in one container, while only one of 10 survived in the smaller container, Amnesty said. Some were held from May 20 until they were released June 6, according to the organization.

It wouldn't surprise many Libyans if Gadhafi ended up in Niger. His erratic one-man rule led to clashes with nearly every Arab country as well as the United States and brought uneven development to this oil-rich country of 6 million people. But he also used the government treasury to buy friendship and invest in projects, especially in African nations.

Gadhafi's wife, daughter and two sons, along with their children, fled to Algeria on Monday, and an Algerian newspaper reported that the former dictator also had requested refuge but President Abdelaziz Bouteflika refused to take the call.

Algeria has assured Libya that it won't provide sanctuary for any Libyans sought for international crimes, which excludes Moammar Gadhafi and his son Saif, who're under indictment by the International Criminal Court.

Algeria hasn't yet recognized the rebel council as Libya's government, but it's said it will once Libya's new government is seated at the U.N. General Assembly later this month. South Africa and other African countries haven't yet indicated when they might recognize the rebel council. Russia, which had been highly critical of the NATO bombings that helped bring the rebels to power, extended recognition Thursday.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Libya rebels call on Sirte residents to liberate their city

Gadhafi family's escape to Algeria angers Libya's rebel council

Libyan rebels face test as they deal with hundreds of pro-Gadhafi suspects

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Libya rebels call on Sirte residents to liberate their city

August 31, 2011 04:54 PM

world

Libya rebels give Gadhafi loyalists 4 days to surrender Sirte

August 30, 2011 05:54 PM

world

Gadhafi family's escape to Algeria angers Libya's rebel council

August 29, 2011 06:45 PM

world

Libyan rebels face test as they deal with hundreds of pro-Gadhafi suspects

August 28, 2011 03:52 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story