McClatchy DC Logo

Libya rebels call on Sirte residents to liberate their city | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Libya rebels call on Sirte residents to liberate their city

David Enders - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 31, 2011 04:54 PM

SADADA, Libya — The revolutionary fighters who deposed Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi last week have set up a base in the town of Sadada in preparation for a possible offensive on Gadhafi's hometown of Sirte, one of the fugitive former dictator's last bastions of support in the country.

But they hope that a final battle won't be necessary, and some openly are calling for the people of Sirte to liberate their own city.

"The revolution in Sirte should come from the people in Sirte," said one young man from Misrata. "If there is a battle, there will be much blood."

Fighting, however, is likely. Gadhafi's spokesman, Moussa Ibrahim, on Wednesday rejected an ultimatum from the National Transitional Council, the rebels' governing body, that Sirte surrender by Saturday.

SIGN UP

Two of Gadhafi's sons also took to the airwaves Wednesday in an indication that they weren't yet willing to give up.

Saif al Islam Gadhafi, who was the heir apparent, said in a broadcast carried by the al Rai television station his father was safe and still in Libya.

Saadi Gadhafi told the al Arabiya satellite station that he was willing to serve as a mediator in the formation of a transitional government in an effort to head off further bloodshed.

Rebels think that Gadhafi might be in Sirte or perhaps Bani Walid, another city in central Libya with strong ties to the Gadhafi regime. Saif Gadhafi said Wednesday that loyalist leaders had gathered in Bani Walid to affirm their willingness to die in their country.

Other members of Gadhafi's family crossed into Algeria on Monday, hundreds of miles to the west of Sirte.

NATO has been stepping up its attacks on Sirte, flying 38 bombing missions over the city Tuesday, three more than the organization had launched Monday. Last Saturday, NATO flew only one mission over the city.

Fighters were waiting near Sadada for the order to move. From beneath a highway overpass, they scanned the horizon with binoculars. They acknowledged that they were under orders not to advance on Sirte until after the end of Eid al Fitr, the three-day holiday that marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan.

They were uncertain what awaited them. Officials in the rebel capital, Benghazi, fear that there may be as many as 10,000 loyalist troops dug in around the city of 100,000.

"Perhaps there will be a battle," said Ramadan Bishara, the commander of one of the revolutionary units at Sadada. "The (revolutionaries) want to fight."

Rebel patrols traded fire Tuesday with Gadhafi loyalists near Rouseeka, about 30 miles from Sadada and 100 miles from Sirte, which is along the Libyan coast midway between Tripoli, on the west, and Benghazi, on the east.

Rebel fighters also were approaching Sirte from the east and were reportedly about 30 miles away. On Wednesday, news agencies reported that thousands of people were fleeing the city.

Most of the fighters at Sadada hailed from Misrata, 50 miles to the west. They were some of the same fighters who wrested control of Misrata from Gadhafi's forces in May, after bloody battles that left hundreds dead and caused heavy damage to the city.

Fighters from Misrata also participated in the liberation last week of the capital, Tripoli, and, with the capital secure, many were looking forward to returning home. But they'd driven directly to Sadada, expecting to participate in an offensive against Sirte.

Any assault on Sirte will be a test of the rebels' ability to coordinate their actions. The attack on Tripoli, while it included an amphibious assault and other coordinated actions, was often an unplanned affair, with rebels from Misrata moving into the city to assist in the takeover without any direct orders.

Some Misrata rebels expressed irritation with the National Transitional Council in Benghazi, saying it has too many links to Gadhafi's government. Mustafa Abdel-Jalil, the head of the council, is a former Gadhafi justice minister.

Bishara said his fighters would heed the orders of the transitional council's military panel, but expressed disdain for Abdel-Jalil.

(Enders is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Backwater no more, Gadhafi's hometown becomes crossroads

Libya rebels give Gadhafi loyalists 4 days to surrender Sirte

With source of water still in Gadhafi hands, Tripoli goes thirsty

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Libya rebels give Gadhafi loyalists 4 days to surrender Sirte

August 30, 2011 05:54 PM

world

Gadhafi family's escape to Algeria angers Libya's rebel council

August 29, 2011 06:45 PM

world

Libyan rebels face test as they deal with hundreds of pro-Gadhafi suspects

August 28, 2011 03:52 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story